It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

Clan Quigg/Quigley

• Author

Tricia

Site Admin

Clan Quigg/Quigley

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 12:48 am

Quigley is common in all the four provinces of Ireland but is most numerous in Ulster, particularly counties Derry and Donegal. It is in Gaelic Ó Coigligh, which may derive from the word coigeal, denoting a 'person with unkempt hair'.
There were O'Quigleys, a sept of the Uí Fiachra of Co. Mayo, and another sept of Inishowen in Donegal. The most common form of the name is now Quigley, but Kegley and Twigley are also found. The name is well known in Fermanagh and Monaghan, a sept of O'Quigley there being erenaghs of Clontivrin in the parish of Clones.

Quigg, an exclusively Ulster name found mainly in Co. Derry but also in Co. Monaghan, can be an abbreviated form of Quigley, but it is also the name of a recognised sept of Co. Derry whose name is in Gaelic Ó Cuaig. Particularly in Co. Down both these names have been made Fivey in the mistaken notion that the Gaelic for 'five' cúig, was an element in their construction.

GLOSSARY

Clan From the Gaelic clann which means literally 'children'.
Mac- From the Gaelic mac, meaning 'son'
O' From the Gaelic Ó, meaning 'grandson', 'grandchild' or 'descendant'; Ní is the femine form of Ó, meaning 'daughter' or 'descendant'
Plantation (Ulster) The redistribution of escheated lands after the defeat of the Ulster Gaelic lords and the 'Flight of the Earls' in 1607. Only counties Donegal, Derry, Tyrone, Armagh, Fermanagh and Cavan were actually 'planted', portions of land there being distributed to English and Scottish families on their lands and for the building of bawns.
Sept A family group of shared ancestry living in the same locality
Undertakers Powerful English or Scottish landowners who undertook the plantation of British settlers on the lands they were granted.
Gaelic This word in Ireland has no relation to Scotland. As a noun it is used to denote the Irish language, as an adjective to denote native Irish as opposed to Norman or English origin.
Erenagh From the Irish Gaelic airchinneach, meaning 'hereditary steward of church lands'. A family would hold the ecclesiastical office and the right to the church or monastery lands, the incumbent at any one time being the erenagh.
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Tricia

Site Admin

Re: Clan Quigg/Quigley

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 12:52 am

http://genforum.genealogy.com/quigg/

Quiggs and Quigleys in here
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Tricia

Site Admin

Re: Clan Quigg/Quigley

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 12:53 am