It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

Toner

• Author

irishrose

interested

Toner

PostSat Jul 12, 2014 4:27 pm

how do i go about finding out about Toner Clan? :)

Aoife

Site Admin

Re: Toner

PostSat Jul 12, 2014 4:56 pm

not yet anything posted regarding this Clan - so if you have any material please put it up here :)
Misspellings are *very special effects* of me keyboard

Maura

Site Admin

PostSat Jul 12, 2014 5:11 pm

This is an English and sometimes Irish surname. The spellings are the often the same but the origins are quite different. In England the derivation is probably from the 12th century 'ton' plus the suffix 'er'. The general translation is one who came from a farm or hamlet, but worked somewhere else! Recorded in the spellings of Towner, Toner, Tonner, and Tooner, the original meaning was probably much more specific, and perhaps referred to a worker who was a contractor, at a time when most people lived at their place of work. However one of the earliest recordings is that of Andrew Le Toner, of Pinchbeck in Suffolk, in the year 1273, and this is most definitely a job descriptive entry. Later examples of recordings include John Joners, a witness at St Martins in the Field, Westminster, on November 20th 1706, Thomas Tooner, who married Elizabeth Burnell at St. Sepulchre, London, on October 26th 1714, and Fanny Sarah Tonner, christened at St Mary Lambeth, London, on March 7th 1821. In Ireland the name is unusually of Norse-Viking origins. It derives from 'Tomar', the personal name of a Scandanavian King of Dublin in the 10th century. The name was then 'gaelicised' to create a form of patronymic as O' Tomhrair, the descendant of Tomer. It seems that in the late medieval period the 'm' was transposed to 'n'. Be that as it may the clan held considerable lands on the River Foyle and amongst the early recordings is that of Patrick O'tHonyr, a priest who was excommunicated in 1435, and John Thoner, the Bishop of Lismore in 1554 - 1565. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Hugh Tunere, which was dated 1242, the Court of Fees of the county of Warwickshire, during the reign of King Henry 111, known as 'The Frenchman', 1216 - 1272. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
Attachments
4573715820_pre[1].jpg
4573715820_pre[1].jpg (15.32 KiB) Viewed 12865 times
"The Irish - Be they kings, or poets, or farmers, They're a people of great worth, They keep company with the angels, And bring a bit of heaven here to earth"

Tricia

Site Admin

PostSat Jul 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Irish rose....is that you Rosetta by any chance ? Im so sorry i never got putting up Clan Toner as promised ...been really busy in facebook mail sorting members oasswords etc ..neverending :cry: lol
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

irishrose

interested

PostMon Jul 14, 2014 11:11 pm

yes its me :D im liking this page its just getting used to it. the best of luck Tricia an the other admins :P

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Jul 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanx Rosetta luv..if you need started on family tree we can help ..or are you already started ?

irishrose

interested

PostTue Jul 15, 2014 7:49 pm

i need help Tricia i would know how to do family tree an i would be so interested in it! thank u :oops:

Tricia

Site Admin

PostTue Jul 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Rosetta go to Family Tree link on here and you will see a new topic in your name

Return to Clan Toner