It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

Raglan Street school disaster December 1894

A forum for anything not pertaining to one specific Clan ... from ancient Celtic beliefs to the latest genealogy links on the internet
  • Author

bealfeirste

Raglan Street school disaster December 1894

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 7:28 pm

I posted this to another site many years ago and saw someone mention it on the FB page, so thought I would post here.

RAGLAN STREET DISASTER.

While researching my family tree, I came across an incident in 1894 which, although plunging the Lower Falls into a deep grief at the time, I had never heard off before.

St Peters National School, otherwise known as Raglan Street National School, was one of a number of such schools in the Lower Falls area. Within its walls, it taught the local children of labourers, mill-workers, publicans, tailors and a host of other occupations.

On the evening of December 5 1894, the lives of numerous families in the area were to be traumatically affected by an incident which local newspapers called ‘The Raglan Street School Disaster’.

That evening approximately 300 children, aged from 4 years of age, eagerly paid their one penny to enter the school to watch a ‘costume recital ’ being given by a group of entertainers, called the Arthur Troupe. They had previously held their recital,’ Uncle Tom’s Cabin’ in other schools throughout the city and country, and had been well received.

The school itself was a brick building of two storeys, situated at the corner of Raglan Street and Panton Street, and the recital was held on the second floor. Children from the schools in Raglan Street, Sultan Street, and Slate Street, were invited and shortly after four o’clock on Wednesday afternoon the doors were opened and the gas which illuminated the place was turned on. The children rushed up the stairs and when the doors were closed, approximately 200 others were outside unable to gain admission. Within the schoolroom, the smaller of the children were seated at the front of the room, with the elder and larger children being seated behind, leaving a bit of space at the back of the room. There were also approximately twenty adults in attendance, of which about six were men.

The show started about a quarter-past five o’clock in the evening, and it wasn’t long before the children became wild with excitement. A number of times during the recital, the noise of the children caused the show to be halted, and eventually, Mr Arthur, failing to restore order among the children, decided to bring it to an end.

Suddenly, the gas went out and the place was plunged into darkness. Some of the adults struck matches to light the gas, but it was found to be turned off, and then a panic ensued. In a wild rush, the children made for the stairs which led from the room to the street below, and very quickly, the stairs were blocked by a frantic tangled throng of bodies.

Those children who had managed to reach the bottom of the stairs, were soon trampled, and fell below the crush of those behind them, creating a heaped mass at the door. Amidst heartrending screams, and piled one on top of the other, a number of the children were suffocated, whilst those at the turn of the stairs were badly crushed. In their desperation to get out, some children broke windows, attracting the attention of some passer-bys.

John Dixon, of Tenth Street, was the first to help, along with Andrew and John Kerrigan, sons of the head teacher. One of them was able to enter the school and reach the gas meter and turn it on. With the hall lighted, they were able to start the rescue of the children. Constables M’Coach, Mecredy, and Corken, arrived at the school, followed shortly by Head-Constable Brennan, Sergeant Kelly, and District-Inspector Barnivill.
Drs. Carroll, Aickin, Polley, and Duffy also arrived and treated many of the injured, while other children were carried into houses in Raglan Street by local people.
As crowds of anxious parents and relatives gathered, an ambulance arrived and brought the more serious cases to the Royal Hospital.

In total, 5 children were to die, and over thirty were injured, mostly suffering from shock.

DEAD.

Dennis Dwyer, 3 Lady Street, aged six years, died on the way to the hospital.

Eddie M’Keown had been carried to Mrs. Trainors, 144 Raglan Street, and then brought home to 8 Dunlewey Street, whereupon his mother was completely overcome by grief. On the 7th December, a death notice was inserted in The Irish News and Belfast Morning News:
M’KEOWN – December 5, the result of an accident, Edward, the dearly – beloved son of James and Elizabeth M’Keown, of 8 Dunlewey Street, Falls Road, aged ten years and three months. [Funeral this day (Friday), at two o’clock, to Milltown Cemetery.]

John Connell, 126 Albert Street,(his parents lived in Lady Strret) was carried into the house of Mr. James Maguire, by Mr. P. M’Ginley, Peel Street and David Clewlo. Despite being treated by Dr. Duffy, he died shortly afterwards.

Annie Campbell, Milford Street, aged about eight years had been brought into Mrs Trainor’s, 144 Raglan Street, where she died a short time later. She lay unidentified in the house for a long while until just before eleven o’clock, when a little girl named her. About fifty people from the crowd outside then rushed to her parent’s house, where Mrs. Campbell stated she thought her daughter was playing about in the streets. When she arrived at Mrs Trainors, she was overcome with grief and declared she wanted to bring her little girl home, which was done. Of the dead or injured the only one with external marks was the girl Campbell, whose face was abrased and the right eye blackened.

Rose Taggart, aged 12 years, was removed from Mrs. Trainor’s, of 144 Raglan Street, shortly after ten o’clock to her own home in Linden Street. She was treated by Dr. Carroll, but never regained consciousness, her lungs having been crushed in.

The following,were among the injured:
Three children were admitted to Hospital suffering from shock. They were,
William Killoch, ten years, 4 Plevna Street;
Thomas Falloon,( some newspaper reports have the surname Falcon) 31 Sultan Street, seven years
and John Doherty, twelve years, 34 Garnet Street.
They were discharged the following day and were able to walk to their homes.

Letitia Knox, aged three years, had been with her sister Frances, when they became separated in the crush. She was brought home to 11 Durham Place, and was looked after by a neighbour while her mother, the main breadwinner, had to go to work in one of the local mills.

Elizabeth Jane M’Quade, nine years old, 31 Bosnia Street, was treated for shock at her home. When the lights were turned off, she had rushed out along with the other children. According to newspaper accounts of the time, she explained:
“They all rushed on top of me. The door was shut, I don’t know by whom. I don’t mind any more after that. I mind being carried into the house. It was Mr. Dickson, of the Shankill Road, who took me out. I think I was the first taken out.’’

Catherine Newell, 36 Mary Street was treated at home.

Annie Lavery, of 17 Raglan Street, suffered internal injuries.

Jenny Miskelly, from Dunlewy Street, was brought into the house of James Maguire, by a Mr. M’Gee, of Balaclava Street. Near dead, newspapers reported how Dr. Duffy treated her for nearly one and a half hours, giving “artificial respiration” and saving her life. Her uncle, Mr. H. M’Gurk, of Falls Road explained that Jenny had been separated from her older sister during the incident.

Martha Peake, aged six years, was brought to a house in Milliken Street. Her little brother had been in the schoolroom also. When the crush began, he had managed to run home to tell his parents what had happened. The little girl stated that she fell down on a little fellow’s back, but did not remember anything that happened to her afterwards. She was brought home nearly lifeless, and was treated by Dr. Poley.

James Cassidy, of 53 Cyprus Street, was also present at the time of the accident, and did all he could to assist in rescuing the children from their awful condition.

Father Convery, Admin., Father M’Cartan, C.C., and the other priests of the district visited the families affected, while messages of support and sympathy came from wide and afar. The Lord Mayor of Belfast expressed his condolences and enclosed a subscription of £2, and Alderman M’Connell enclosed a cheque for £5.

Meanwhile, crowds of stunned people gathered and the main topic of conversation was who had turned off the gas which had caused the panic? The person, who had done so, had opened the door of the apartment in which the gas meter was situated.

RAGLAN STREET DISASTER.

The police investigating who had extinguished the gas, later that afternoon arrested 15 year old John M’Kenna from 23 Milford Street. The prisoner made the following statement: - ‘‘It was John M’Manus; that is what they were all saying. I was sitting upon a window sill with my sister.’’
A boy named Cornelius M’Donnell stated that he had seen the prisoner, and heard John M’Manus telling to put out the gas. Then M’Kenna and Ned Hobbes went down the hall, and then he (prisoner) jumped over the board into the coalhouse. Then I saw him turning the handle of the meter round, and then the gas went out, and he came out. Then he went up the stairs, and I stood there, and the crush then came down, and I crushed upstairs and got into the big room. I don’t know what became of M’Kenna after that.
James Edward Hobbes, 40 Boundary Street, aged about 15, said he heard John M’Manus tell M’Kenna to turn out the gas for a ‘‘gag’’. He (M’Kenna’’) did not do it on the minute, but stood outside for a while. In about five minutes he went over to the board. I saw him going over to the gas and turn it out. After that I stood for a while. I did not go near the room upstairs. After the rush of children, I went out by the back door.
Mr. DONNELLY said he appeared for the boy, and, looking at the case from the worst point of view, the act was merely a freak on the part of the boy, and was done without any intention of doing harm. The boy’s mother, who was present in court, felt very much grief at the occurrence, and gave the boy up to the police at once. The prisoner was a boy of tender years and not capable of properly understanding his position. He would apply that the boy, after the inquiry, should be permitted to go home with his mother and the father, who would be responsible for him, pending the opening of the Coroner’s inquiry.
Mr. SPILLER did not oppose the boy being released on the proper guarantees being given.
MR. HODDER said, that he would order the boy’s release upon his parents or some proper person giving a sufficient undertaking on his behalf.
The prisoner was then discharged, and left the court with his mother.

THE INQUEST was held before the City Coroner (Mr. E.S. Finnigan) and a responsible jury. The following people were among those attending the Inquest.t – Very Rev. John Macaley,P.P.; Rev. P.Convery, Admin., Mr. Joseph Macauley, J.P.; Mr. D. F.Spiller solicitor; Mr. M. M’Cartan, M.P, solicitor; Mr. Joseph Donnelly, solicitor; Assistant Commissioner Seddail, Dr. Aicken, Dr. Carroll, Dr. Polly; the fathers of the deceased – James M’Keown, William Connell, Thomas Campbell, Edward Dwyer, and James Teggart, and the following teachers of the schools in the Falls District – Mr. John Kerrigan, the principal, Raglan Street male National School; Andrew Kerrigan, James M’Guigan, Robert Barr, and John Fitzpatrick; Miss M’Comb, Raglan Street Female National School; Mr. Henry Lappin, St Joseph’s School, Slate Street; Mr. M’Manus, principal, Milford Street National School.

The following were sworn on the jury: - Messrs. James M’Cann, 154 Falls Road, grocer (foreman); John Burns, 102 Falls Rod, publican; Arthur Laverty, 126 Falls Road, mechanic; Michael Crealey, 88 Falls Road, publican; Francis O’Neill, 91 Falls Road, publican; John Buttler, 152 Ross Street, draper; Cormac Kelly, 52 Ross Street, grocer; Owen M’Mullan, 34 Springfield Road, publican; Patrick.E. O’Hanlon, 70 Springfield Road, grocer; John Cosgrove, 47 Springfield Road, grocer; Hugh Kennedy, 12 Dunville Street; Hugh Magee, 22 Waterford Street, publican; Thomas Donegan, 39 Springfield Road, grocer; Hugh Fitzpatrick, 69 Leeson Street, publican; James Brennan, 4 Dunlewey Street, mechanic.
District-Inspector Barniville and Head-Constable M’Garnan represented the police, and Mr. Joseph Donnelly, solicitor, who appeared for the prisoner M’Kenna in the Police Court, was also present.
Mr. M’Cartan, M.P.,represented Father Convery and the teachers of the schools.
The jury viewed the bodies at the homes of the parents of the deceased children, and afterwards came to the Recorders Court. The coroner, having taken his seat on the bench at 12 o’clock,

The five fathers of the dead children were called.
James M’Keown deposed that the lad Edward M’Keown was his son. He last saw him alive on Tuesday evening. He saw the dead body at 9.30 on Wednesday evening.
William Connell identified the body of his son John Connell, whom he saw dead after the occurrence on Wednesday.
Thomas Campbell deposed that he was the father of the deceased girl Annie Matilda Campbell. He saw her on Wednesday about two o’clock, and did not see her again until eleven o’clock, when she was dead.
Edward Dwyer deposed that he was the father of the little lad Denis Dwyer. He saw him at nine o’clock in the morning, and did not afterwards see him until he saw the body in the Royal Hospital.
James Teggart deposed he was the father of Rose Ann Teggart, whom he saw in the house at nine o’clock on Wednesday morning. He again saw her at Mrs Traynor’s, Raglan Street, from which she was brought to his own house, where she died at twenty minutes to seven last evening.

The CORONER expressed sympathy with the parents and allowed them to leave and bury their children. -

Among the witnesses called, was Walter Hobson, the agent of the theatrical troupe.When the Inquest was over, the jury returned their verdict:

‘ That the said Annie Capmbell, Eddie M’Keown, John Connell, and Dennis Dwyer, on the 5th day of December 1894, in Belfast, came to their deaths suddenly from suffocation, caused by being knocked down and trampled upon in a panic which arose at Raglan Street Schools upon the 5th day of December 1894. The jury do further say that John M’Manus did not use the words ‘‘ Put out the gas for a ‘gag’; further, that John M’Kenna did not turn out the gas upon the said evening; also that George Arthurs and Alfred Hobson were not culpably negligent, but that their negligence deserves some censure.’’ They also added the following riders: - ‘The jury strongly recommend that in future responsible persons should be placed in charge of the doors to allow of free entrance and exit to entertainments such as this. The jury beg to express their sincere condolence with the parents of the unfortunate children who were so suddenly cut off. The jury fully endorse the opinions placed before
them by the Coroner regarding the precautions to prevent future accidents of a like kind in the city. They are also of the opinion that sufficient precaution had been taken by the manager of the school ( Rev. P.Convery, admin.) for the proper protection of the gas meter by providing a lock for the door leading into same and placing the keys in charge of the principal teachers of said school.’
In the case of Rose Taggart the jury returned a verdict that death resulted from internal injuries and shock.

The Coroner, addressing Arthurs and Hobson, said the jury had taken a very considerate view of their position. He endorsed their view himself, because he did not believe they had been culpably negligent. He did say, however, they had been grossly negligent, and that they did not do what they should have done in taking proper precautions for the preservation of order and for the safety of the children, which any men of ordinary intelligence would have taken in a case of the kind. They locked the door, and neither of them had tried whether other doors in the passage were closed. It was a mercy of Providence one hundred lives instead of five were not sacrificed , and they mainly had been responsible for the deaths of those children, the very thought of which would be enough punishment for them. He sincerely trusted that the result would be to teach them to take proper precautions in other places where they would be giving similar entertainments.’’

Tricia

Site Admin

Re: Raglan Street school disaster December 1894

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 1:21 am

An awful tragedy but just a schoolboy prank that went disasterously wrong .

Tons of names from the falls i recognise in today's families
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Return to History & Genealogy