It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:58 pm

DNA News and Links

A forum for anything not pertaining to one specific Clan ... from ancient Celtic beliefs to the latest genealogy links on the internet
  • Author

Tricia

Site Admin

DNA News and Links

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:34 am

----------------------------DNA NEWS AND LINKS---------------

Myths about GENETIC DNA testing.....
-----------------------------------------------------------

You've probably read or heard about dna paternity tests in the salacious 'celebrity' pages of tabloid newspapers and magazines, or about dna forensic evidence solving heinous crimes.
Genetic genealogy is altogether milder, and perhaps less specific. For example, genealogy dna testing won't tell you about your family's predisposition to certain medical conditions.
Being still relatively new, there remains a certain amount of misinformation floating about. For example, blood tests aren't necessary, nor, if you're a little 'short on top' do you have to give up a precious lock of hair.
It's all done by mouth swab... quick, no messing and painless.
Genetic dna testing is sometimes seen as an alternative to thorough genealogy research. Let's be clear:
It isn't a quickie family tree option.
It won't tell you the maiden name of your great grandmother.
It won't tell you the name of the townland in Ireland where your ancestors lived in the 16th century.
It won't tell you that you are descended from The Ripper or related to Liam Neeson.

How can a DNA test help with my genealogy you may wel ask ......
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DNA tests can help you find family, break through brick walls and trace your lineage through time. There are a few companies with a comprehensive testing suite that can take you on this journey. This one seems to be very popular
https://www.familytreedna.com .......but our group is in no way affiliated with any DNA TESTING ...in fact no websites like ours is ....thats a whole new money spinner ball game altogether !

This DNA WEBSITE CLAIMS...
Family Tree DNA has the largest ancestry database in the world
We'll put you in contact with your closest genetic matches
Share stories and work together to connect the dots on your family tree
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Tricia

Site Admin

Re: DNA News and Links

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:52 am

http://irelandsdna.com .. Open this link to learn more about Irelands DNA
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Return to History & Genealogy