It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

Recipe Corner..

Hi folks, want to share anything funny or thought-provoking not fitting in the categories below? Feel free to do it here :)
  • Author

Tricia

Site Admin

Recipe Corner..

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 10:47 am

------------------HOMEMADE BAILEYS-----------------------------

BLEND..

4 eggs 1 at a time in food processor ~ don't let get frosty.
Then:
1 can Condensed Milk
1 Tbsp. Hersheys Chocolate Syrup
1 tsp. to Tbsp. vanilla (depending on taste)
1 capful coconut extract

Then mix in:

1 cup WHISKEY (or more, to taste) YIS MORE MORE
1 pint whole milk 1 pint cream
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Tricia

Site Admin

Re: Recipe Corner..

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 am

----------------------------------- BELFAST PASTIES------------------------

Combine cooked sausage meat and mashed potatos or old cooked chips .. More meat that potatos whichever is preferred ...also finely chopped onion in a bowl. Add salt/pepper and whichever herbs and spices takes your fancy!
Mix all together and form patties then dust with flour.
Batter is Self Rising flour and soda water to form a soft batter. With a spatula drop into deep fat and fry untill golden brown.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 10:55 am

---------------------------------GUINNESS STEW ---------------------

400g Stewing beef
3 tablespoons of flour
2 carrots
4 Potatoes
1 White onion
2 cloves garlic
2 Sprigs of thyme
2 tsp tomato puree
1 litre beef stock
1 500ml Can Guinness
Salt and pepper
Method
The beef should already be cut into stew size pieces but if it is not you should do so now.
Heat a large pot and fry the beef over a high temperature until it has been browned all over, this may take up to 5 minutes.
Remove the beef from the pot and set aside on a plate for the moment.
Without cleaning the pot add the chopped onions, potatoes and carrots to the pot and cook while stirring gently for 5 minutes.
Add the thyme leaves and tomato puree and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the Guinness and stock and turn the temperature down
Cook 1 hour

Tricia

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 10:57 am

--------------------------------- SODA FARLS -------------------

1 pound of white flour (plain)
1 teaspoonful of Salt
Teaspoonful of Baking soda.
Approx. ½ to ¾ of a pint of Buttermilk
Roll the dough out onto a floured board and shape into a square. Cut into four sections.

Method
Griddle Soda Farls
If the soda farls are to be baked on a heated Griddle or Electric Fry pan it should be rolled thinner than the bread that is done in the oven.(400 degrees approx. 15 to 20 mins. according to thickness of the rolled bread).
Preheat the Griddle or Electric fry pan gently first sprinkling it lightly with flour. When the flour turns a golden brown it is ready for use. (approx.) 3 to 4 mins.
The dough will rise and the underside of the bread will brown .Watch carefully it does not become too brown.
Flip over to cook the upper side of the bread.
Leave the soda bread to rest. best not used straight away as it is harder to cut through the middle for frying .

Tricia

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:01 am

---------------------------- Basic Irish Candy Apples -------------------------

8 EATING APPLES.
8FL OZS WATER
1LB WHITE SUGAR.
PUT SUGAR & WATER IN A BOWL MICROWAVE ON FULL POWER FOR 5MINS.
STIR UNTILL SUGAR HAS DESOLVED THEN CONTINUE COOKING ON FULL POWER UNTILL GOLDEN (ABOUT 17-20 MINS.
INSERT STICKS INTO APPLES AND ROLL INTO MIXTURE ( YOU CAN THEN ROLL THEM INTO COCONUT.PLACE ON GREASED BAKING SHEET.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:02 am

---------------------------- BELFAST SOUP---------------------

1 ham shank or smoked ham joint or chicken
Pkt mixed soup veg
cup soup mixture
cup lentils
cup split peas
1 parnsnip chopped (optional)
extra chopped carrots if preferred
1 onion chopped (optional)
2 ham stock cubes crushed
Salt Pepper and Mixed Herbs

Huge pot of boiling water and add all ingredients making sure all vegetables are chopped up small and simmer for roughly 2 hours...take out ham bone at end and cut meat and add back to pot.....delicious...

Tricia

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 am

------------------------------- IRISH POTATO BREAD ----------------

2 cups (1 kg or 2 lb) warm cooked potato, mashed
1/2 tspn salt
2 tblspns butter, melted
1 cup (4 oz or 125 gm) plain flour
Makes 2 circles each with 4 quarters
Add salt and butter, then work in enough flour to make a pliable dough. Divide the dough in two and roll out on a floured surface to form two circles 22 cm (9 in) in diameter and 5 mm (1/4 in) in thickness. Cut each circle into quarters and bake on a hot griddle or pan for about 5 minutes or until browned on both sides. Some people like to grease the baking surface, while others prefer a light dusting of flour for a drier effect.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:05 am

---------------------------- BARMBRACK ----------------------

7fluid ozs cold tea (or enough to cover fruit & sugar)
1ib mixed fruit
7ozs soft dark brown sugar
8ozs self raising flour
1 egg
i tea spn
mixed spice
spoon of whiskey/brandy

soak sugar,fruit,and spirit overnight in a bowl,cover with a teatowel.
next day stir well add egg and mixed spice and flour.
mix well together.
turn out into a 2lb loaf tin thatrs been well greased and floured.
cook for 1hr in a warmed up oven 190% .

Tricia

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:08 am

------------------ QUICKEST IRISH COFFEE EVER ---------------

Put a shot of baileys in a glass
fill 3 quarters of the way up with hot black coffee
spoon in double cream
enjoy. :D :lol:

Aoife

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Misspellings are *very special effects* of me keyboard

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 12:59 pm

Very interesting aoife ...must go on ebay more often and see what gems i come up with :D

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:11 pm

CHAMP
Champ is a simple irish dish which is cheap, easy to produce and very filling.

8 medium potatos, peeled
small bunch of scallions (spring onions) cooked in 1/4 pt milk
salt and pepper
knob of butter per person
(serves four)

Cook potatoes..drain..add the hot milk and scallions and mash
Lovely served with sausages or fish

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Ribs and Cabbage

2lb ribs fresh (pork) or bacon
1 large cabbage
bay leaf
2 large onions
cold water to cover
2 large carrots
ground black pepper
Pot of potatoes
(serves four to six)
Quarter the cabbage and put aside. Peel and slice the other vegetables. Cover the meat with the water and bring to the boil. Skim the surface, add the vegetables (except the cabbage), the bay leaf and the pepper and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for a further 30 minutes. Serve the meat surrounded by the vegetables with additional mashed potatoes.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Pea and Ham Soup
This soup is made with dried peas; these generally have to be soaked overnight, though it is possible to buy some that need only a few hours' immersion. It is slightly less trouble to make the soup with split peas - which have no skins - and here there is a choice of green or yellow. Although there is no difference in the taste, the latter give the soup a pleasant golden colour.

1 Ib/ 500 g/ 2 cups dried peas or split peas
4 oz/ 125 gl 1/2 cup diced pieces of cooked ham or a ham bone
1 large onion and a little fat (optional)
3 pts/ 1 1/2 lr/ 6 cups ham stock or water
cream (optional)
parsley (optional)
seasoning
(serves six)
Soak the peas as directed on the packet. Chop the onion, if used, and soften in a little fat over a low heat. Add the peas and water or stock and the ham bone if used.

Cook gently until the peas are soft - about an hour. Remove the bone and strip off any meat. This should be cut into small dice and reserved. Puree the peas in a blender or pass through a sieve. Adjust the seasoning. Add the diced ham and serve with a swirl of cream or a sprinkling of chopped parsley on top.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Brown Scones
2 cups self-raising flour
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
pinch of salt

Sieve the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter quickly and lightly with the fingertips. Add the salt and then, using a round-bladed knife, mix in the milk a little at a time. With floured hands knead lightly to a soft dough, adding a little more milk if necessary. Roll out evenly but lightly about one finger thick on a floured board. Cut out with a pastry cutter using a quick sharp motion, but do not twist or the scones will distort as they bake. Cook on a greased baking sheet near the top of a pre-heated oven at 425°ree;F for 12-15 mins.

These scones are best baked fresh for tea as they go stale very quickly. Brown scones are made in exactly the same way, substituting wholemeal flour for half the white flour. For fruit scones add a tablespoonful of superfine sugar and two tablespoonfuls of dried fruit before adding the milk.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Potato Soup
The basis of a good soup - especially a simple soup such as this - is a good stock. The soup should be made with a white stock, that is, water in which a chicken, ham or bacon has been boiled. Alternatively, stock can be made from a ham bone or chicken carcass boiled with a few root vegetables and herbs as available, and an onion. The stock should be drained, allowed to cool and the fat removed from the surface.

6 medium potatoes
2 medium onions
3pt/ 1/2 l/ 6 cups stock or milk and water mixed
1tbsp butter
parsley
salt and pepper
(serves six)

Peel and dice the potatoes and chop the onions. Melt the butter and gently cook the onions and potatoes in a covered saucepan until soft but not coloured. Add the liquid, adjust the seasoning to taste, sieve if wished and serve in bowls decorated with a little chopped parsley.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Dulse and Yellowman
Did you treat your Mary Ann to some dulse and yellowman,
At the Auld Lammas Fair in Ballycastle-O?

Dulse is a purple edible seaweed. I remember buying it at a penny a bag as a child when sweets were hard to get at. It can also be stewed for a couple of hours and eaten as a vegetable or with oatcakes. It is not known much outside the north of Ireland -

Yellowman is a different matter all together. This toothsome, honeycombed, sticky toffee is traditionally sold at the Auld Lammas Fair at the end of August.

1 lb/ 1/2 kg/ 1 1/2 cups golden or corn syrup
8oz/ 250g/ 1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter (heaped)
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp baking soda

In a large saucepan slowly melt together all the ingredients except the baking soda. Do not stir. Boil until a drop hardens in cold water (240°F, 190°C on a sugar thermometer). Stir in the baking soda. The toffee will immediately foam up as the vinegar releases the gas from the baking soda. Pour out onto a greased slab and while just cool enough to handle fold the edges towards the centre and pull repeatedly until the whole is a pale yellow colour. Allow to cool and harden in a greased tin and break into chunks with a toffee hammer - or anything else that comes to hand.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Irish Chocolate Cake
The "Irishness" of this lovely chocolate cake is thanks not only to the wonderful liqueur used in the filling, but also to a certain, very Irish, ingredient in the cake mixture itself, which contributes to its moistness.

Sponge
175g/ 6oz self-raising flour
1/2tsp salt
50g/ 2oz dark chocolate
110g/ 4oz butter
175g/ 6oz caster sugar
80g/ 3oz cooked mashed potato
2 eggs, beaten
4tbsp milk

Filling
110g/ 4oz dark chocolate
125ml/ 4fl oz double cream
50g/ 2oz icing sugar
3tbsp Irish cream liqueur
Preheat oven to gas mark 5/ 190°C/ 375°F, and grease and line two 20cm/ 8 inch cake tins. Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Melt chocolate in a bowl placed over a saucepan of hot water. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy, then beat in the chocolate and mashed potato. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little flour with each addition. Fold in the rest of the flour and stir in the milk.

Divide mixture between cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is firm but springy to the touch. Remove from oven and after a few minutes, turn out on a cooling rack. While the cake is cooling, make the filling. Melt the chocolate as before, stir in the other ingredients and mix well. Use the filling to sandwich the sponge layers together and coat the top and sides of the cake.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Currant Squares
Even in the age of convenience foods, home baking skills are flourishing, though the preference has shifted from large cakes to tray bakes. Here is an unsurpassed favourite, especially when made with a delicate flaky pastry.

Flaky Pastry
140g/ 5oz firm butter or margarine, grated
175g/ 6oz flour
pinch salt
iced water

Filling
110g/ 4oz butter
80g/ 3oz sugar
225g/ 8oz currants
pinch spice
1 lemon, rind and juice
1 large apple, grated
1 slice bread, crumbled
Makes 20
To make pastry: freeze butter or margarine for half an hour before grating. Sift flour and salt, then add butter or margarine. Mix into flour with palette knife. Add iced water until a dough is formed. Wrap and chill in fridge. Put all filling ingredients into a saucepan and bring to boiling point. Set aside to cool. Preheat oven to gas mark 6/ 200°C/ 400°F. Roll out half the pastry very thinly and line a Swiss roll tin. Pour on currant filling, spreading evenly, then cover with the rest of the pastry. Glaze with egg or milk and bake for 30 minutes or until light gold in colour. Dust with caster sugar and cut into squares when cool.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Oatcakes
Oats are one of our oldest natural crops. These unleavened cakes, also known as strones in Ulster and bannocks in Scotland, were originally eaten spread with butter. They were baked on the griddle, then dried out on ornamental "harnen" stands. Delicious with cheese or honey.

25g/ 1oz plain flour
pinch salt
pinch baking soda
110g/ 4oz medium oatmeal
25g/ 1oz butter, margarine or bacon fat
1/4 cup boiling water
Makes 4
Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into the oatmeal. Melt the butter, margarine or fat in boiling water and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until the mixture is a spongy mass (a little extra water can be used if necessary). Turn mixture on to a surface covered with plenty of dry oatmeal and scatter more on top. Flatten the dough and roll out until 1/2cm/ 1/4inch in thickness, then place a dinner plate on top and trim into a neat circle. Scatter on more oatmeal and rub it in all over the surface. Cut into quarters before baking on either a griddle or in the oven.

Griddle Method
Place the oatcakes on a heated griddle or heavy pan over medium heat and bake until they dry out and curl. Then place under a grill at medium heat to cook the top of the oatcakes.

Oven Method
Bake at gas mark 4/ 180°C/ 350°F for 20-30 minutes or until dried out.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Country Rhubarb Cake
Both my parents ate this as children, dished straight out of the oven. The fruit and sugar would boil out around the sides, resulting in the gooey, syrupy cake they remember as a heavenly treat. The scone dough is quicker to make than pastry and absorbs the lovely juices better.

Scone dough
340g/120z plain flour
1tsp baking soda
pinch salt
50g/ 2oz caster sugar
80g/30z butter
1 egg
175ml/l6fl oz buttermilk

Filling
700g/1lb rhubarb, roughly chopped
200-250g/7-9oz sugar
white of 1 egg, whisked
caster sugar to dust

Preheat oven to gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F, and grease a 25cm/10 inch deep pie dish. Sieve flour, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl. Add caster sugar and rub in butter. In a separate bowl, beat the egg together with the buttermilk and gradually add this to the flour until a dough is formed. Knead lightly on a floured surface and divide dough into two. Roll out one half and use it to line the pie dish. Fill the dish with the rhubarb and sprinkle with the sugar. Roll out the remaining dough to form a pastry lid. Brush the rim of the pastry base with water and put on the lid. Glaze with the whisked egg white and sprinkle with caster sugar. Make steam slits in the lid and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the fruit is soft. This pie is also delicious if made with apples.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Potato Bread
Also known as fadge or potato cake, this is delicious hot from the griddle or pan with melted butter and a sprinkling of sugar. It is also a much-loved part of a traditional breakfast.

225g/ 8oz warm cooked potato
1/2 tsp salt
25g/ 1oz butter, melted
50g/ 2oz plain flour
Makes 8
Mash potatoes well. Add salt and butter, then work in enough flour to make a pliable dough. Divide the dough in two and rolll out on a floured surface to form two circles 22cm / 9 inch in diameter and 1/2cm/ 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut each circle into quarters and bake on a hot griddle or pan for about 5 minutes or until browned on both sides. Some people like to grease the baking surface, while others prefer a light dusting of flour for a drier effect.

Pratie Oaten For a tasty, textured variation, substitute fine oatmeal for the flour in the recipe above.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Baked Irish Salmon
There is no doubt that this is an expensive dish, but it will feed eight to ten people and makes a fine party piece.

1 fresh salmon (about 5 lb/ 2 kg)
parsley
salt and pepper
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup dry cider
1/2 pt/ 250 ml/ 1 cup double cream
(serves eight to ten)

Clean and descale the salmon, cut off the head and tail and trim the fins. Stuff the parsley into the gullet. Butter some aluminium foil and form a loose envelope round the fish, sealing both ends but leaving the top open for the moment. Dot the rest of the butter over the salmon, season and pour over the cider and the cream Now seal the foil along the top, leaving only a small vent. Bake in the oven for l l/4 hours at gas mark 4, 350°F, I80°C. When ready, take from the oven, remove the skin and reduce the sauce by boiling, stirring all the time. Serve with boiled new potatoes and fresh garden peas.

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Porter Cake
Porter is a type of dark Irish beer, not now as widely available as it once was. It is not as strong as stout but Guinness, Murphy's or other Irish stout can be substituted in this recipe if mixed fifty-fifty with water. This cake is quickly and easily made and, though it tastes good fresh from the oven, it is best kept for about a week in an airtight tin.

1/2 pt/250 ml/1 cup porter
8 oz / 250 g/ 1 cup butter
8 oz/250 g/ 1 cup brown sugar
2 lb/ 1 kg/ 6 cups mixed dried fruit
(equal quantities currants, raisins, sultanas
with about half as much mixed peel)
1 1/4 Ib/ 1/2 kg/ 4 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp mixed spice
grated rind from one small lemon (optional)
3 medium eggs
Melt the butter and sugar in the porter in a saucepan. Add the fruit and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to go cold and add the sieved flour, baking soda, spices and lemon rind. Beat the eggs and mix in with a wooden spoon. Pour into a greased and lined 9 inch/ 25 cm cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven at gas mark 3, 325°F, 160°C for about 1 3/4 hours. To test the cake, push a skewer into the centre; if ready, the skewer will come out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the tin.

katearee

interested

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Oh Tricia I was just in having a wee look at your recipe page..im definitely going to give some of them a try x :D

Tricia

Site Admin

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 7:29 pm

Hiya kate .. Well barmbrack is my fav so bloody easy to make and yummy and with drop of whiskey in it nothing goes off :D

You any recipes?

bettyboop

interested

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Sorry can't cook but can give u a few numbers of Irish pizza takeaway or Irish Chinese take always or the local Irish bakery and u would not even have any dishes to do xx

Tricia

Site Admin

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Haha that will do Betty :lol:

Aoife

Site Admin

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Irish food history, part 1 of a series, found at least 5 of those youtubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszAZ7H2D78