O'Neills that joined the clergy

• Author

Tricia

Site Admin

O'Neills that joined the clergy

PostSat Jul 26, 2014 1:01 am

http://www.theshipslist.com/Research/canadarecords.htm
http://genealogy.about.com/od/canada_im ... zation.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EER85Wb ... _embedded#!

I have been told i am related to Monsignor patrick O'Neill, not sure if its clonoe or where in Tyrone as im still looking to see where he went to..Fell free to help lol

Anyways i came across this site and found a few clergy o'neills..

O'NEILL, Fr John S. 1907-1992
Born 27 January 1907 in Clonoe, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone, Johnny came to Blackrock College in 1921 together with his first cousin, Fred Fullen. Professed in Kimmage in 1925, he did Philosophy in the Castle, Blackrock, 1925-7, and did his prefecting in St Mary's, Trinidad, 1927-31. Ordained in 1934 Fr Johnny was appointed to Angola the following year together with Fr Bernard Keane. They were the first Irish Spiritans to be appointed to that mission since Frs John Hogan and Joseph Lynch, who were victims of its cruel climate after a few short years in the 1880s. Angola's reputation in that matter had not changed but, as the Portuguese had tightened their grip on the colony, it was insisted on that all foreigners become proficient in Portuguese and subject themselves to all Portuguese laws. A year's domicile in Portugal was called for. It was a Portugal which retained much of the anti-clericalism of the Revolution. One small reminder of this was that on their visit to Braga they saw a scientific instrument invented by Fr Hugh O'Toole whom they had known at Blackrock but it was now in the former famous Spiritan college which was state property. Arrived in Angola in April 1936 Fr John's first assignment was to Gambos. The climate had proved deadly for him and the people proved impervious to Christianity. When word of this lack of progress reached Nigeria, there were appeals that these two active young missionaries be redirected to where there were thousands waiting for the Gospel to be preached to them. Gambos was closed and John was transferred to Sendi. It was going to be a hard slog all along the way with a trail of woes because of the climate. But no disaster was to diminish John's zeal or dilute his courage. He concentrated on evangelisation through education, earning for himself from other missionaries the nickname "schoolmaster". He was also remembered for the long journeys undertaken in most trying conditions in this work of "first evangelisation." His mode of transport was the same as that used by Fr Duparquet , Fr John Hogan and Br Onufre Cooney way back in the early eighties of the last century, a two-wheeled wagon drawn by eight oxen. He became known as "o missionario do apotolado longinquo." Wherever souls were to be saved he sought them out. He contacted people, became their friend, administered first aid where possible, and brought them the Good News of the Gospel. The school in Send became the most successful in the diocese and solid vocations to the priesthood came in outstanding numbers. When Johnny's health gave way and prevented him from such punishing travels, he was appointed director of a Junior Seminary and later was professor in the new Spiritan college in Huambo. He got to know the Angolan mind well and the people realised that he was totally committed to their interests. He listened a lot to their problems, said little and always kept his patience and his humour. Ill-health forced him to return to Ireland in 1961. He served at Kilshane till 1964 when he was appointed Missionary Procurator, a post he filled with the same calm dedication he had shown all his life. He retained his common sense to the last and his good humour never deserted him. Fr John O’Neill answered the last roll-call 6 November, Feast of the Irish Saints, 1992 aged 85 years. He was buried in Kimmage. BCArch; IPNl No. 5 1992
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Return to Clan O'Neill