It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

Clan Brennan ..Feel free to add posts

• Author

Tricia

Site Admin

Clan Brennan ..Feel free to add posts

PostWed Jul 09, 2014 11:23 am

Last name: Brennan
This is an Anglicized form of two distinct Gaelic Irish surnames:-O'Braonain and MacBranan. The gaelic prefix "O" indicated "male descendant of", plus "braon", a "tear" or "drop", possibly meaning "sorrow" in this case. "Mac" means "son of", plus "bran", a raven, referring to one with coal black hair. The diminutive suffix "A(i)n" is attached to both names. The chief O' Braonain (Brennan) sept belonged to Leinster where they held considerable estates in Co. Kilkenny prior to the 17th Century, after which several clan members became "highwaymen". The MacBrennans belonged to Co. Roscommon and their chiefs held sway here from 1159 - 1488. Present day namebearers in counties Roscommon, Mayo and Sligo were originally Mac Branans. Edward, son of John and Hannah Brennan, was christened on August 29th 1799 at Lying in Hospital, Eddell Street, London. One Christe Brenann, aged 20 yrs., a famine emigrant, sailed from Liverpool aboard the Pacific bound for New York on May 28th 1847. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Mac Branain, chief of County Roscommon, which was dated 1159, "The Annals of the Four Masters", during the reign of High Kings of Ireland "with opposition", 1022 - 1166. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
© Copyright: Name Origin Research http://www.surnamedb.com 1980 - 2014
Read more: https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Brennan#ixzz36xupJuXB
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 10697 times
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Maura

Site Admin

Re: Clan Brennan ..Feel free to add posts

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 3:29 pm

My Brennan line from Randalstown Co. Antrim
"The Irish - Be they kings, or poets, or farmers, They're a people of great worth, They keep company with the angels, And bring a bit of heaven here to earth"

Tricia

Site Admin

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Any info on that part of the world post it here Maura ...and its family tree goes into another forum :)

Deirdre B D

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 5:24 pm

My Brennan's...James Brennan 1827 Castlecomer co Killkenny a pig farmer joined the R.I.C in 1847 was posted to Cavan..where met Mary Hickey/ Hughes..He retired 1855 ,he and Mary settled in carrickhill Belfast..their son Joseph 1856 married Cathrine (Kitty ) McGregor ..they had a shop in carrickhill,their son my grandfather Robert 1892 married Mary Fleming of Park st..daughter of James Fleming and Ann Ried...Robert and Mary had a shop on Alton st Carrickhill .they moved to Beechmount around 1927 .

Tricia

Site Admin

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Also put in family Tree so its in 2 places :)

Return to Clan Brennan