It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

Surnames and irish counties ...ANTRIM

• Author

Tricia

Site Admin

Surnames and irish counties ...ANTRIM

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Below is a list of surnames which have either historic or numeric importance to the counties of Ireland. Of numeric importance include the top surnames from Matheson's birth index study of the 1890 census, with the number of 1890 births cited following the name (in parentheses). The list is not comprehensive and there are many variant spellings of names which are not included. In many cases a root name may appear both with and without the O', Mac, or Mc prefix, for example Connor and O'Connor normally indicates the same surname. Although not always the case, names beginning with O', Mac, Mc, De, Le, and others, may usually indicate a name of historical significance. In addition to indigenous Irish surnames (significantly those beginning with O') the list below also contains names of origin outside of Ireland, including Scottish, Welsh, English, Norse, Norman and Flemish, among others origins.

County Antrim

Aiken, Bell (90), Bissett, Boyd (81), Brown (82), Burns, Campbell (96), Craig, DeBurgo, DeCourcy, DeLacy, Diamond, Donnelan, Dunluce, Ferguson, Dugan, Earle, Graham (64), Greene, Hall, Hamill, Hamilton (50), Hession, Hoctor, Johnston (126), Kerr (60), Law, Lacy, Lynch, Magee, MacAlister, MacClean, MacCleary, MacCracken, MacCully, MacCurdy, MacDonagall, MacDonnell, MacDougal, MacGee, MacGuigan, MacIntee, MacKeon, MacKinley, MacLaughlin, MacNally, MacNeill, MacNellis, MacQuillan, Martin (61), Maxwell, Miller (86), Moore (96), Murboly, O'Criodan, O'Eric, O'Flynn, O'Furry, O'Hamill, O'Hannon, O'Hara, O'Hood, O'Kane, O'Keevan, O'Kernaghan, O'Lavery, O'Lynn, O'Mulholland, O'Neill (98), O'Quinn, O'Shiel, Quillan, Reid (63), Riordan, Robinson (89), Scott (66), Smith (134), Stewart (126), Thompson (101), Toome, Wallace, Welsh, Williamson, Wilson (119).
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

margaretsam

Re: Surnames and irish counties ...ANTRIM

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 3:02 pm

Tricia how do i start search on my family tree
i have great uncles all moved to america and we have no contact with their families

Aoife

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 5:39 pm

margaretsam » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:02 pm wrote:how do i start search on my family tree

Start your family here: viewforum.php?f=34 as "new topic" and please mention the surname you're researching so that others are able to join in and help :)

margaretsam » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:02 pm wrote:i have great uncles all moved to america and we have no contact with their families

A search for living people you may start here: viewforum.php?f=46
Misspellings are *very special effects* of me keyboard

Tricia

Site Admin

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanx Aoife... Il start a Tree fir margaretsam and link it to facebook ulster clans group
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Return to Antrim