Fairlie

Global Moderator

Re: CELTIC GODS AND GODDESSES

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Ériu
Celtic Goddess of Ireland

Eriu.jpg
Eriu.jpg (9.35 KiB) Viewed 16797 times

Ériu is the sovereign Celtic Goddess of Ireland. She is not a ruler or a queen of Ireland but rather she is Ireland or at least the land that makes up Ireland; and, in a sense, she is the heart of Ireland. Gaia, the Greek mother of all life in some aspects has similarities to her. Both of them are the land, the soil, and the earth; and both are mother goddesses. In a way, they both bring the same feel of warmth into the hearth and home. However Gaia in many ways is singular. In Greek mythology she was the beginning and the mother of all life. Ériu has a mother, father, sisters, brothers and children. She had to find herself a place in the world. Two of her sisters, Banba, Fotla (also spelt Fodla), and Ériu are a triad; she and her sisters represent sovereignty.

Banba, Fotla and Ériu are all equal in power, they all married warriors, and are even triplets. It seems like not much divided them. However they all had their own lives and own way of thinking, of course, but Ériu was able to find herself a place in the crazy world, and later she was able to help her son do so too.

The name Ireland came from Ériu’s name. Long ago warriors came from Spain to conquer what is now Ireland. After being defeated in battle, the triad asked, as a last request, that their names be used to name the land. Fotla and Banba’s names are used sometimes in poetry as names for the land, however Ériu, whose name over time had changed to ‘ire’ has become the name used everwhere.

Thus from there becoming Éire, which in Gaelic means Ériu’s land; later it was somewhat translated to Ireland. Ériu has become world famous in a way.

Ériu can help give others a place in the world. When Ériu was younger she didn’t know she could do this. It wasn’t until a great event in her life that made her realize what she could do.

Once a man approached her while she was on the beach. He asked her to make love to him for one hour. At first she said no because she thought he mistook her for someone else. However this man assured he had not mistaken her. They talked for a bit and after a while Ériu accepted his request to make love. When the hour was over and the man went to leave she started to cry. He asked her why she was crying, Ériu responded saying that she will miss him and that she was upset that she had given away her virginity. To make her feel better the man told her that in nine months’ time she would bear a beautiful son. He told her the only name fitting of this child would be ‘Eochu Bres’ (meaning Eochu the beautiful).

Nine months later, as the man had said, she bore a beautiful baby boy. Other than his undeniably pleasant looks, the boy was definitely nothing special. As the boy grew Ériu guided him in life. She helped him find a place for himself in the world. Eventually the boy had become a king. All his mother had done was guide him and let him follow his heart.

Ériu found her gift and even more so found her place. She knew what she could do and what she could grant. As a mother she did her job, as a goddess and role model to young women she was still learning. In life we all need to find a place for ourselves, control of our surroundings and to follow our hearts. Some of us need help to grow or grow into what is society today and now. If you need help, perhaps inviting this goddess into your life can enlighten you, and bring you a little more control to your own life.

To honor this goddess in your life an emerald or green colored crystal could help. Something as simple as using the emerald or green crystal as a small pendant even can help, this would allow you to more easily invite her into your life and carry her with you from day to day.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Flidais

flidais-goddess-of-wild-animals.jpg
flidais-goddess-of-wild-animals.jpg (24.96 KiB) Viewed 16797 times

Flidas or Flidais (modern spelling: Fliodhas, Fliodhais) is a female member of the Tuatha Dé Danann, known by the epithet Foltchaín ("beautiful hair"). She is believed to have been a goddess of animals, woodlands and fertility, somewhat akin to the Greek Artemis and Roman Diana.[1] "As goddess of wild beasts [...] she rode in a chariot drawn by deer" while "as goddess of the domestic herds" she had a magical cow of plenty.[1]

She is mentioned in the Lebor Gabála Érenn and is said to be the mother of Fand, Bé Chuille and Bé Téite.[1] In the Middle Irish glossary Cóir Anmann ("Fitness of Names") she is said to be the wife of the legendary High King Adamair and the mother of Nia Segamain, who by his mother's power was able to milk deer as if they were cows.[2] She is mentioned in the Metrical Dindshenchas as mother of Fand.[3]

Flidais is a central figure in the Táin Bó Flidhais ("The Driving off of Flidais's Cattle"), an Ulster Cycle work, where she is the lover of Fergus mac Róich and the owner of a magical herd of cattle. The story, set in Erris, County Mayo tells how Fergus carried her and her cattle away from her husband, Ailill Finn.[4] During the Táin Bó Cúailnge (Cattle Raid of Cooley) she slept in the tent of Ailill mac Máta, king of Connacht, and every seven days her herd supplied milk for the entire army.[5] In Táin Bó Flidhais she has a favoured white cow known as "The Maol" which can feed 300 men from one night's milking.[6][7] Another Ulster Cycle tale says that it took seven women to satisfy Fergus, unless he could have Flidais.[8] Her affair with Fergus is the subject of oral tradition in County Mayo.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 7:27 am

Fodla

Fodla.jpg
Fodla.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Fódla or Fótla (modern spelling: Fódhla or Fóla), daughter of Ernmas of the Tuatha Dé Danann, was one of the tutelary goddesses of Ireland. Her husband was Mac Cecht.

With her sisters, Banba and Ériu, she was part of an important triumvirate of goddesses. When the Milesians arrived from Spain, each of the three sisters asked the bard Amergin that her name be given to the country. Ériu (Éire, and in the dative 'Éirinn', giving English 'Erin') seems to have won the argument, but the poets hold that all three were granted their wish, and thus 'Fodhla' is sometimes used as a literary name for Ireland, as is 'Banba'. This is similar in some ways to the use of the poetic name 'Albion' for Great Britain.

In the Tochomlad mac Miledh a hEspain i nErind, Fótla is described as the wife of Mac Cecht, reigning as Queen of Ireland in any year in which Mac Cecht ruled as king.[1] The text goes on to relate that as the Milesians were journeying through Ireland, Fótla met them ‘with her swift fairy hosts around her’ on Naini Mountain, also called the mountain of Ebliu. A footnote identifies the Naini Mountain of Ebliu as the Slieve Felim Mountains in County Limerick. The soil of this region is peaty luvisol.[2]

According to Seathrún Céitinn she worshipped the Mórrígan, who is also sometimes named as a daughter of Ernmas.

In De Situ Albanie (a late document), the Pictish Chronicle, and the Duan Albanach, Fotla (modern Atholl, Ath-Fotla) was the name of one of the first Pictish kingdoms.[3]

The LÉ Fola (CM12), a ship in the Irish Naval Service (now decommissioned), was named after her.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 7:34 am

Goibhniu

Celtic smith god. Goibhniu.jpg
Celtic smith god. Goibhniu.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Goibniu or Goibniu (Old Irish, pronounced ˈɡovʲnʲu) or Gaibhne (Modern Irish) was the smith of the Tuatha Dé Danann. He is believed to have been a smithing god and is also associated with hospitality.

The name of his father appears as Esarg or Tuirbe Trágmar, the 'thrower of axes'.[1] Goibniu is often grouped together with Credne the silversmith and Luchta the carpenter as the Trí Dée Dána (three gods of art), who forged the weapons which the Tuath Dé used to battle the Fomorians. Alternatively, he is grouped with Credne and Dian Cecht the physician.[2] When Nuada's arm is cut off in battle, Goibniu crafts him a new one of silver. He also makes weapons for the gods. In the Lebor Gabála Érenn, he is described as "not impotent in smelting",[3] and is said to have died, along with Dian Cecht, of a "painful plague".[3]

Goibniu also acts as a hospitaller who furnishes feasts for the gods. According to Altram Tige Dá Medar, the feast of Goibniu protected the Tuatha Dé from sickness and old age. He is said to be owner of the Glas Gaibhnenn, the magical cow of abundance. In the St Gall incantations,[4] he is invoked against thorns, alongside Dian Cecht.

Goibniu may be the same figure as Culann.

His name can be compared with the Old Irish gobae ~ gobann ‘smith,’ Middle Welsh gof ~ gofein ‘smith,’ Gallic gobedbi ‘with the smiths,’ Latin faber ‘smith’ and with the Lithuanian gabija ‘sacred home fire’ and Lithuanian gabus ‘gifted, clever

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 am

Gwydion

gwydion2.gif
gwydion2.gif (37.74 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Gwydion fab Dôn
A Cymric God of the Mabinogi: Great in Knowledge
Gwydion fab Dôn is a Cymric (Welsh) god known from the Mabinogi of Math mab Mathonwy and the Welsh Triads. He ranks amongst the foremost and most important of the Cymric gods. He is the arch mage, god of magic and wisdom.

Gwydion is the elder members of the Plant Dô and also the senior member of the primary triad of deities, Gwydion, Gofannon (great smith) and Amaethon (great husbander) that mark their mother Dôn as a 'Great Mother' archetype.

Gwydion is primarily known from the fourth branch of the Mabinogi, the tale of Math mab Mathonwy. Gwydion starts out as the foil of this tale, before emerging as its hero. He starts a war with Pryderi of Dyfed and steals the swine of Annwfn by exchanging them for gifts of steeds and greyhounds he has engendered from mushrooms. All of which is done so that his uncle Math mab Mathonwy goes to war, allowing Gwydion to aid his brother Gilfaethwy.html in raping Math's foot-holder, Goewin. During the ensuing war Gwydion kills Pryderi and secures the magical swine of Annwfn for Math. As punishment for the rape of Goewin (whom Math marries) Gwydion and Gilfaethwy.html are turned successively into male and female deer, swine and wolves to spend a year in each form and to bear sons one upon the other. This punishment concluded and the rift between Gwydion and Math is healed.

Math now asks Gwydion whom he would suggest as a replacement foot holder and Gwydion suggests his own sister, Arianrhod. She is brought and Math tests her to see whether she is a virgin. Upon stepping over Math's magic staff she bears a child, Dylan and a small dark object that Gwydion covers in cloth and hides in a chest at the foot of his bed. One morning Gwydion hears a cry and opens the chest to find a child there. This child is reared by a wet-nurse and grows very rapidly. At age two the child makes his own way to Math's llys and Gwydion takes him to his mother, Arianrhod, that he might meet his mother. At Arianrhod's llys she enquires of Gwydion as to who the boy following him is and he replies that this is Arianrhod's son. She berates Gwydion that he has brought the boy to shame her. And then enquires as to the name of the boy (the exact language being beth yw enw dy fab [what is the name of your son] a direct indication that the boy is the son of Arianrhod and Gwydion). Arianrhod then gives the boy a dihenydd (a fate) that he shall not receive a name save from herself. Using his magics Gwydion disguises himself and the boy as cobblers and they trick Arianrhod into visiting them; at which time the boy uses a needle to strike a wren in the leg and Arianrhod exclaims: 'truly, with a skilful hand did the fair one strike it.' and thus was the boy named Lleu Llaw Gyffes. Gwydion removes the glamour disguising them and Arianrhod places a further dihenydd on Lleu, that he shall not gain arms if it is not by her own hand.

Once again Math uses his magics and disguises himself and the boy as bards from Morgannwg and they go to Arianrhod's llys. There they entertain the court and the following morning Math fashions an invading fleet. Arianrhod implores him and the boy to help defend her llys and thus does Lleu gain his arms, given to him by his mother's hand. The illusion is dissolved and enraged Arianrhod places a third and final dihenydd on her son: that he shall not gain a wife from the race of mortal women. To overcome this fate Gwydion and Math arrange to create a wife for Lleu from the flowers of oak, broom and meadowsweet. And for this reason was she called Blodeuwedd. Blodeuwedd and Lleu are married, but one day as Lleu goes to his great uncle Math's llys Blodeuwedd meets a charming huntsman, Goronwy Bebyr and they fall in love. They decide to do away with Lleu and trick him into revealing how he may be slain. Goronwy casts a spear at Lleu which pierces him in the flank an, screaming, he flies away in the form of an eagle. News of this atrocity reach Math and Gwydion and Gwydion vows not to rest until Lleu is found. So he hunts the length of Gwynedd and Powys until he comes to the house of a villein whose swineherd watches over a sow who disappears each day. Gwydion follows the sow until she comes to a stop beneath a great oak tree and begins to feed on rotten flesh and maggots. At the crown of the oak Gwydion spies an injured eagle. Singing three englynion he entices the eagle into his lap and by dint of his magics he transforms the bird back into Lleu. Taking Lleu back to MAth's court at Caer Dathyl he nurses the boy back to health and then goes with him on his quest for revenge. Math eventually catches-up with Blodeuwedd and for her treachery he transforms her into an owl; a bird so loathed by other birds that it must dwell in the night-time and shun the company of her fellows lest she be attacked.

Gwydion is the archetypal great mage; able to create animals from mushrooms, leather and boats from seaweed, a woman from flowers and able to create the illusion of an invading fleet almost at will. He is great in knowledge (which is also the literal meaning of his name). Indeed, Gwydion could be considered as the deified personification of a druid. Indeed, the Cymric form of druid, Derwydd contains the same same component Gwydd (meaning knowledge) that is also found in Gwydion's name.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 7:46 am

Gwyn ap Nudd

Gwyn Ap Nudd.jpg
Gwyn Ap Nudd.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Gwyn ap Nudd
the god of Avalon and king of the faeries.

Gwyn ap Nudd, whose name means “white son of Nudd” (or Nodens, Nuada, or Ludd, variations of Nudd) or in some interpretations “white son of night” ( or mist) is commonly known as the king of the faeries, as well as the guardian god of the Celtic underworld Annwn. He is often associated with Glastonbury, his home being the mythical glass castle beneath the Tor. He is also connected specifically with the welsh faeries, the Tyllwth Teg

At Samhain 2005 I was honoured to be asked by the organisers of the White Spring to initiate a faery space for the building, honouring in particular Gwyn ap Nudd (pronounced Neith) the king of the Avalon faeries. Having long felt a connection with Gwyn I had facilitated a journey circle at the spring that day to encourage others to connect with this ancient and powerful being. My own work with Gwyn had always led me to see a dolmen arch at the base of the Tor as the means of entry to his realm, and I was instructed by Gwyn to paint this dolmen entrance on the back wall of the spring which whilst already being the space put aside, is also the blocked entrance to the natural tunnels at the base of the Tor itself – thus magically reactivating and reopening this sacred portal.

I believe that access within the Tor has never been denied shamanically to those of appropriate intent, never the less, to make a representation in the outer world of this path between realities in situ has been a powerful experience for me. Wonderfully assisted by my partners artistic skill, I drew the lines of the doorway, guided by my allies and the genius loci- the spirits of place, always feeling Gwyn’s watchful presence and empowerment. As soon as the main shape was marked out on the wall I felt the flow of energy which I have always felt flow through the wall increase dramatically. I was instructed to feature certain other details on the portal- the red and white dragons, the Awen and the Ogham tree alphabet as guides and clues for those that wished to travel through. The work was complete by Imbolc 06, when I was also honoured to publicly draw the water from the white in honour of Gwyn and ritually mix it with the red water of Chalice well, signifying the magical alchemy of these powerful Glastonbury energies. For many months after, I dreamt continually of entering the Tor via the portal as well as meeting spirit and faery companions in the building itself, developing my connection with these beings and energies beyond any thing I would have anticipated.

Sometimes my explorations have been finely detailed and full of colour and light, whilst at other times I have been surrounded and supported by the darkness for what has seemed eternities. I now see this as my entering into a deeper level of connection with Gwyn and Annwn itself, inducing an inner reordering of my roots and core and strengthening my connection to Source.

Whilst often upon entering Annwn all becomes black for a while, there is nothing to fear. All that has served its purpose breaks down, and what is left is something pure, supported and sheltered by the womb of the earth. And yet that is only a threshold, for beyond that is the spirit of the earth, a brilliant light which is the Source of us all. It is this journey that Gwyn oversees, both for living travellers and the spirits of the dead. Ancestors can be found in Annwn, often in my experience in a vast cavern lit by the light of the earth rising up from below like a fire, but they may be found in many other settings also. Dragon energies, awesome pulsing beings that mediate the fiery earth energy in and out of the planet, as well as rootbeings and vast intelligences, perhaps like the ancient Greek Titans, which affect large weather patterns, volcanoes and earthquakes can also be found by exploring this realm, as can the earth goddess herself of course, often seen as a weaver goddess creating our destiny as well as our physical matter. It is especially this return to Her that Gwyn facilitates.

Sources from the middle ages associate Gwyn with the forest as a hunter deity, as well as the king of the faeries, and he can perhaps be equated with Herne and Cernunnos. In the fourteenth century, welsh soothsayers would invoke him for assistance. “To the king of spirits, and to his Queen, Gwyn ap Nudd, you who are yonder in the forest, for love of your mate, permit us to enter your dwelling.”

Tradition relates that Gwyn rides out each Samhain ( Oct 31st) as leader of the Wild Hunt, and scours the country in search of the spirits of the dead. His hounds, the Cwn Annwn, are white with red ears, identical to the hounds of the wild hunt lead by other gods such as Woden and Arawn. This connection between the faeries and the spirits of the dead, and their realms, is well documented in folklore and the Celtic tradition, attested to by the numerous tales of entering the faerie realm via burial mounds or barrows, and of travellers to faery seeing their dead relatives or neighbours at the festivities.

Gwyn as hunter god is traditionally accompanied by an owl. which gives further clues to his nature, as does his association with his favourite hound, Dormach with the ruddy nose. Hounds and dogs often being attributed as helping access the other world, as well as being eaters of dead or negative energy. Dormach is praised in “the dialogue of Gwyddno Garanhir and Gwyn ap Nudd” from the Black Book of Carmarthen, where Gwyn’s attributes and exploits as a mighty warrior are listed. “ Gwyn ap Nudd, the hope of armies, sooner would legions fall before the hoofs of thy horses, than broken rushes to the ground.” His white horse Du earns him the title “the pale rider” a traditional title for the figure of Death.

Often within Annwn and his faery court within the Tor, I have seen Gwyn as a being of brilliant white light, sometimes riding enormous dinosaur like beasts that seem to be made of tar. It is my opinion that these are like the Formoire of Irish tradition- great primordial beings, earth elementals which often devour decaying energies. These are part of the eternal recycling of the planet and nothing to be feared, unless you want to hold on to something whose time has passed. In my experience Annwn is a place of great nurture and compassion which reveals your own darkness as a tool for transformation.

Gwyn is often described as a brilliant white glowing figure, much like the shining ones of the sidhe and tyllwth teg, of which he is leader. The tyllwth teg are famous for their dancing and revelries, and the welsh bard Davydd ap Gwylim believed Gwyn and his people responsible for playing numerous tricks on him. Unusually Gwyn is sometimes seen as having a blackened face, the mark of the underworld, and making an interesting comparison with the tradition of the Crow Morris, or Samhain Morris dancers, which are still extant in various forms across the West Country. As a being of glowing white light he matches his name, and this together with his character links him to the figure of Orion the hunter, whose constellation stands directly above Glastonbury Tor during the winter months, beginning in time for Samhain. Gwyn is mentioned in the welsh triads as one of the three greatest astronomers of Britain, strengthening his link to the heavens as well as the earth, and encouraging belief in the Glastonbury zodiac. As a figure of the night sky, his connection with Nudd his father, the Irish Nuada silver hand, also becomes more apparent. as they are both lunar rather than solar male figures.

Interestingly, Gwyn has further correlations with Orion, as they both have water deities as fathers, as well as both being connected with hunting, winter and death. The importance of Orion, can be traced as far as ancient Egypt, where the main pyramids at Giza mark out the star pattern of Orion’s belt.

It is said that Gwyn was given the duty of guarding Annwn by King Arthur, however he considerably predates Arthur, but is significant enough to have survived the centuries in folk consciousness by being given this overlay. His hunting and warrior abilities, as well as his connection with Arthur are also mentioned in the tale “Cullwch and Olwen.” where the hunting of the boar Twrch Trwyth is impossible without him. This tale is also likely to predate Arthur, and contains many ancient pagan motifs including the very oldest animals/ animal spirits; the stag, the owl, the eagle and the salmon, as well as the great boar, and the sacred solar prisoner, Mabon, an adult “ wondrous child” whose name means “son” and is often given the extended name “Mabon ap Modron” “Son of Mother.”. Into this mythic context comes the tale of Gwyn’s abduction of Creiddylad. from her intended husband Gwythyr ap Creidawl. Arthur is said to have judged that the two suitors should fight for her each 1st of May Beltane.

Creiddylad the daughter of Lludd or Lyr the god of the sea, was also worshipped by the early Britons and may or may not also be Gwyn’s sister, as Nudd and Ludd are sometimes considered to be one and the same. They certainly share the same sea/ water/ silver/ lunar attributes. Creiddyllad, later known as Cordelia, daughter of Lear in Shakespeare, is here a goddess of fertility and springtime, and as such is not subject to the same laws concerning incest as mortals, and her relationships in this pantheon are a matter of Mystery and a useful subject for meditation. Her tale is similar to the Greek Persephone and her underworld husband Hades. It is sometimes said that she remains in her fathers realm- the water, until the battle between Gwyn and Gwythyr is settled. Whilst this is clearly a patriarchal overlay, this could suggest she is one and the same as the Lady of the Lake, the ancient goddess/ priestess. Her position as dual mate to Gwyn and Gwythyr is part of the ancient pagan motif of oak king and holly king, the lords of summer and winter and their eternal cycle as consort of the goddess.

This connection and eternal battle further link Gwyn with his fellow hunter gods, who are inextricably connected to the cold season when hunted meat and the sacred connection with the horned stag were all important. This figure can even be seen today in the form of father Christmas, who wears the bloodstained hides of his reindeer and brought the gift of well needed meat to the people.

The worship of Gwyn at Glastonbury was of course unpopular with the growing Christian community which developed after the Roman invasion, as can be seen in the story of Gwyn and St Colen. The austere Christian mystic is said to have criticised Gwyn as being a devil and repeatedly refused his invitation to meet him at the faery court. When Colen finally agreed he refused the famous faery hospitality swearing “I will not eat the leaves of a tree.”. He is then said to have sprinkled holy water about him and then to have found himself alone on the hillside, after banishing himself from faery due to his ill manners. Of course it is sometimes claimed that Colen banished the faeries from the Tor, but centuries of private experience reveal that to be wishful thinking on the part of the medieval Christians. However, useful knowledge can be gained from this story. Gwyns graciousness in the face of open hostility is apparent as well as revealing the limits of that kindness. With faery, honour and respect are everything.

Colen insulting the food as “the leaves of the tree” gives insight into the faery realm compared to Colens view of the world about him. To the faeries there is a feast of delicacies and treasure about them. To Colen the gifts of the natural world are worthless. Of course this also relates to the traditional prohibition against eating faery food. Through Christian eyes in the past, the food is a trap bringing the damnation of being kept forever in faery. To others it is part of a sacred exchange creating an ever deepening contract and relationship with the faery realm. It is similar to the Celtic traditions of hospitality. It is important to be a good host. It is equally important to be a good guest. In this way Colens severance from faery mirrors modern humanities distance from the other realms, and from the earth itself.

Faeries of many kinds and appearances may be found within the Tor in my experience, although I believe they may be found anywhere when they are willing. The court of Gwyn and his mysterious Queen may be found beyond the dolmen threshold, when journeying with that specific intent, particularly if a faery guide is politely requested to assist in matters of pathfinding and etiquette. These beings are ancient and extremely powerful and must be treated and approached with respect if contact with them is to be achieved or maintained. These are not diminutive whimsical creatures of Victorian fantasy, but beings that live continuously in much closer contact with Source than mortals can imagine. Contrary to popular opinion, faery contact is better achieved through steady grounded presence than flighty enthusiasm or hallucinogenic stimulation, although meeting them may be an extremely heady experience indeed.

In a Celtic world view, Gwyn is a compassionate and powerful guide. As a warrior god he protects the people and in stills pride, respect and honour as moral codes. As the lord of Annwn he guides the lost and facilitates regeneration. As the king of faery he reminds us of our wild natural selves and our connectedness to all things, revealing our inner truths. These roles were indispensable in Celtic culture and even more in need today. Whilst merciless in the face of arrogance and disrespect, he is patient with mortal frailties, and has much to teach us about reconnecting with our planet, our ancestors and our own vital souls. When it is my time to leave this realm I am comforted that he will come for me.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 7:51 am

Labraid

Labraid.jpg
Labraid.jpg (19.96 KiB) Viewed 16472 times

Labraid Loingsech (English: the exile, mariner), also known as Labraid Lorc, son of Ailill Áine, son of Lóegaire Lorc, was, according to medieval Irish legend and historical tradition, a High King of Ireland. He was considered the ancestor of the Laigin, who gave their name to the province of Leinster.[1] An early dynastic poem calls him "a god among the gods", suggesting he may once have been an ancestor-deity of the Laigin.[2]

According to the historical tradition, His grandfather, Lóegaire Lorc, had been High King, but was treacherously killed by his brother Cobthach Cóel Breg. Cobthach also paid someone to poison Lóegaire's son, Ailill Áine, who had taken the kingship of Leinster,[3] and forced Ailill's young son to eat a portion of his father and grandfather's hearts, and to swallow a mouse.[4] Struck dumb by the trauma, the boy became known as Móen Ollom, "the mute scholar". Later, he was hit on the shin during a game of hurling, and cried out "I am hurt!" From then on he was called Labraid, "he speaks".

The Lebor Gabála Érenn says Labraid was exiled overseas, and after thirty years made peace with Cobthach and was given the province of Leinster.[5] Various versions of the story of Labraid's exile are told. In one, a prose tale in the Book of Leinster, Cobthach holds an assembly in Tara, and asks who the most generous man in Ireland is. His poet, Ferchertne, and harper, Craiftine, immediately answer "Labraid", so Cobthach exiles the three of them from his court. They take refuge with Scoriath, king of the Fir Morca in Munster. Scoriath has a daughter, Moriath, who falls in love with Labraid, but her mother always sleeps with one eye open to keep an eye on her. Craiftine plays a slumber-strain on his harp to put her completely to sleep, and Labraid spends the night with Moriath. When her mother wakes up she realises what has happened, Labraid confesses and the pair are married. With the help of Scoriath's army and Craiftine's harp, Labraid invades Leinster, and makes peace with Cobthach.[3]

Geoffrey Keating tells a different story. After spending some time with Scoriath in Munster, Labraid goes to the continent, where he gains great fame as the leader of the bodyguard of the king of France, who is related to Labraid's grandmother, Cessair Chrothach (who was the daughter of a king of the Franks according to the Lebor Gabála). Moriath, hearing of his great deeds, falls in love with him from a distance. She writes a love song for him, and sends Craiftine to Gaul to sing it to him. Labraid is delighted with the song, and decides to return to Ireland and reclaim his territory. The king of France equips him with ships and 2,200 men. His followers are known as Laigin after the broad blue-grey iron spearheads (láigne) they use.[4] T. F. O'Rahilly attempted to explain the confusion over the location of Labraid's exile by suggesting that the name Fir Morca, a people located in Munster in the Book of Leinster account, was a corruption of Armorica in north-west France.[1]

The peace between Labraid and Cobthach broke down. The Lebor Gabála says there was war between them.[5] In the tale in the Book of Leinster, Labraid invites Cobthach, along with thirty kings of Ireland, to visit him, and builds an iron house at Dind Ríg to receive them, which takes a year to build. Cobthach refuses to enter the house unless Labraid's mother and jester go in first. They do so. Labraid serves his guests food and ale, and chains the house shut. With the aid of 150 pairs of bellows, he burns the house down, and Cobthach and 700 of his men, along with Labraid's mother and jester, are roasted to death. The jester had been promised that his family would be freed, and Labraid's mother was happy to die for the sake of her son's honour.[3]

The story is told, similar to a legend of the Greek king Midas, that Labraid had horse's ears, something he was concerned to keep quiet. He had his hair cut once a year, and the barber, who was chosen by lot, was immediately put to death. A widow, hearing that her only son had been chosen to cut the king's hair, begged the king not to kill him, and he agreed, so long as the barber kept his secret. The burden of the secret was so heavy that the barber fell ill. A druid advised him to go to a crossroads and tell his secret to the first tree he came to, and he would be relieved of his burden and be well again. He told the secret to a large willow. Soon after this, however, Craiftine broke his harp, and made a new one out of the very willow the barber had told his secret to. Whenever he played it, the harp sang "Labraid Lorc has horse's ears". Labraid repented of all the barbers he had put to death and admitted his secret.[4]

He ruled for ten, nineteen or thirty years, depending on the source consulted, and took vengeance on Cobthach's children, before being killed by Cobthach's son Meilge Molbthach. The Lebor Gabála dates Cobthach's death and Labraid's accession to Christmas Eve, 307 BC, and also synchronises his reign to that of Ptolemy III Euergetes (246–222 BC). The chronology of Keating's Foras Feasa ar Éirinn dates his reign to 379–369 BC, the Annals of the Four Masters to 542–523 BC

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 7:56 am

Lleu Llaw Gyffes

Lieu Liaw Gyffes.jpg
Lieu Liaw Gyffes.jpg (83.78 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Lleu Llaw Gyffes
A Cymric God, also known as Lugos, Lug, Lúg, Lúgh, Lugus, Llew: The Shining One, The Shadowy One
Lleu (Lugos, Lug, Lúg, Lúgh, Lugus, Llew) is a Cymric (Welsh) god known from Mabinogi of Math mab MathonwyMath mab Mathonwy where he is the main protagonist of the tale. He is the Welsh version of the pan-Celtic god, Lugus (Lúgh in Irish) and his epithet of 'Llaw Gyffes' (skilful hand) proclaims his attributes as the god of all arts.

Synonyms: Lugos, Lug, Lúg, Lúgh, Lugus, Llew
Cym: The Shining One, The Shadowy One

The first issue to be dealt with is Lleu's name. In the Llyfr Gwyn Rhydderch he is known as both Lleu and Llew. However, the oldest fragment of the Mabinogi of Math mab Mathonwy, as found in the Peniarth 16 MSS gives Lleu only as the name. Also, the rhyme in the three ancient englynion contained in the tale of Math shows that the true form of the name should be Lleu not Llew:

Dar a dyf yn ard uaes,
Nis gwlych glaw, mwy tawd nawes.
Ugein angerd a borthes.
Yn y blaen, Lleu Llaw Gyffes.

An oak grows on a high plain,
Rain wets it not, though doth corruption seep
A score of crafts does it uphold
And at its crown Lleu of the Skilful Hand

The confusion, even for the mediaeval copyist, ocurred because of the early use of U/V to stand for the vowel U, the consonant V (F in modern Cymric orthography) and also the Cymric vowel W. Later, a modified open form of 6 became used for W and later still the letter W itself came into use. Each copyist attempted to update the orghography of the manuscript and as the name Lleu had fallen out of use the copyist may have assumed that the name was Llew (lion). The earliest translators into English made a similar error and so the incorrect form of the name entered common parlance.

In Cymric mythos Lleu is one of the main figures in the Mabinogi of Math mab Mathonwy (for a full translation of the tale see here) where the story of his birth, marriage and betrayal forms the second half of the tale.

Due to the machinations of Gwydion, Math mab Mathonwy loses the services of his virgin foot-holder, Goewin. As a replacement, Gwydion's sister, Arianrhod is fetched. To ensure that she is a virgin, Math sets a test for her and taking his wand he bends it in the middle, sets it on the floor and commands Arianrhod to step over. Ariahrhod took a step over the wand and on that first step there emerged a fine long-limbed, chubby yellow-haired boy. The boy gave a hearty wail and on hearing this she [Arianrhod] quickly made for the door. As she reached the threshold and a small from emerged from her; but before anyone could catch a second glimpse Gwydion took him and covered him with a sheet of velvet before hiding him away. Whereupon he hid the form in the low chest at the foot of his own bed. The first child is baptized Dylan and escapes to the sea. Then, one day, Gwydion hears a cry at the foot of his bed and opening the chest he sees an infant boy. The boy is housed with a wet nurse and by the time he was two he came to Math's llys all by himself where Gwydion greets him and takes him to Caer Arianrhod to meet his mother, Arianrhod. Gwydion introduces the boy to her and Arianrhod responds with: 'Oh, sir,' [she replied,] 'what came over you to shame me thus, to pursue my shame and retain it all this time?' Gwydion answers that fostering such a child as this would be no dishomour at which point Arianrhod enquires: 'What is the name of your son?' This being the first concrete evidence we have for Lleu being the child of the incestuous relationship between Gwydion and Arianrhod. Thus Gwydion is not Lleu's uncle but rather his father. Gwydion answers Arianrhod by saying that Lleu does not yet bear a name. At which point Arianrhod palces a dihanedd upon Lleu that he shall never gain a name save he gains it from her.

Undeterred, on the following day Gwydion charms leather from sea-weed and sets out in a boat of his own fashioning towards Caer Arianrhod. Disguising himself and Lleu as cobblers they set to their trade and Arianrhod sends out for a pair of shoes. Gwydion creates a pair that are too big, and a further pair too small. Eventually Arianrhod is enticed out so that the true measure of her feet can be taken. She comes to their boat and with this a wren alighted on the deck and the boy threw his needle and pierced it between the sinew and the bone of its leg. At this she laughed, saying: 'truly, with a skilful hand did the fair one strike it.' 'Yea,' he replied, 'God's curse upon you, for he has gained a name; and a good enough name it is. Henceforth he shall be Lleu Llaw Gyffes. Immediately Gwydion's glamour dissipates and seeing the she has been tricked Arianrhod places another dihenydd upon Lleu — that he will never bear arms unless they be given from her own hand.

Again Gwydion disguises them as bards from Morgannwg and they gain entry into Arianrhod's fortress. That night, long before dawn Gwydion arose and he drew unto him his magics and his abilities. By the time day was breaking there resounded uproar and trumpets and cries all sounding together across the land. Arianrhod implores the 'bards' to aid her in defence of her fortress and with her maids she fetches arms and armour for them men. Gwydion bids her dress the youth and thus did Lleu gain arms and armour. Immediately he dispels his glamour and once agiain Arianrhod places a dihenydd upon Lleu — that he shall never gain a wife 'of the race that now dwells upon the earth'.

Gwydion and Lleu go to Math's court where Gwydion complains bitterly of Arianrhod's obstacles. Math aids Gwydion in creating a wife for Lleu. They took the flowers of oak, the flowers of broom and the flowers of meadowsweet and from these they charmed the fairest and most graceful maiden that was ever beheld. And they baptized her according to how she was birthed and called her Blodeuwedd. After the marriage had been consummated and they had all feasted Math bestows the gift of the cantref of Dinodig on Lleu and there he and Blodeuwedd set-up court.

One day, when Lleu sets out for the court of Math, Blodeuwedd spies a huntsman chasing a magnificent stag. The man is Goronwy Bebyr and on his return she invites him into her llys they fall instantly in love and plot to do away with Lleu. Upon his return to court Blodeuwedd enquires of Lleu as to what manner his death can be brought about 'that she might better protect him from such a fate'. 'I t is not easy to slay me from a blow.' Lleu said, 'The spear that injures me must be a year in its fashioning and it must not be worked upon save at the time of offering on a Sunday. I cannot be killed within a house,' he added, 'nor outside it; I cannot be killed on a steed nor whilst I am on foot. To slay me A bath must be prepared for me on the banks of a river and a domed roof formed above the tub which is thatched tightly and well. Then a buck-goat must be brought and placed beside the tub. Then if I place one foot on the goat's back and the other on the edge of the tub. Whomsoever strikes me under these conditions will cause my death.' Immediately Blodeuwedd sends news oof this to Goronwy and he begins working on the magic spear. A year later, Blodeuwedd asks Lleu to show her how he may be killed and having prepared the bath and the bower he goes with her and after bathing he stands with one leg on the tub and another on the back of a buck goat. At this Goronwy emerges and casts his spear at Lleu so that it struck him [Lleu] in his flank so that the shaft darted out and the spear's head stuck within him. Then he flew away in the form of an eagle even as he uttered a fearful scream. And henceforth he was seen no more.

The reports of these events reach Math and Gwydon and Gwydion goes searching for Lleu. He comes to the house of a villein and the next day he follows the household's sow until she came to halt beneath a giant oak and began consuming putrid flesh and maggots. Gazing up he he saw an eagle at the crown of the oak and using his magic he sings three englynion to entice Lleu down to him. Using his magics he transforms Lleu back to human form and returning him to Math's corut at Cear Dathyl he causes Lleu to be cured. Then Lleu and Gwydion set out to punish Blodeuwedd and Goronwy. Math transforms Blodeuwedd into an owl, to be shunned by all the other birds. Meanwhild Lleu catches-up with Goronwg and messengers are sent. Lleu, however, will only accept one thing from him: 'that he goes to the place where I stood when I was struck by the spear whilst I stand in the place where he was at the time. He must then allow me to strike him with the spear. And this is the smallest thing that I shall accept from him.' Goronwy asks one of his household to take his place but they refuse, and from that day unto this, the third Unfaithful Family [of the Island of Britain]. They reach the banks of Afon Cynfael and there Goronwy Bebyr stood where Lleu had been when he'd been struck and Lleu stood where the other had been. And then Goronwy said unto Lleu: 'Lord,' said he, 'since it was from the deceit of a woman that I did unto you as I did, I implore you, before god, to allow me to set that flat stone that I see on the riverbank between myself and the blow.' 'Truly,' said Lleu, 'I shall not refuse you this.' Thus Goronwy took the stone and placed between himself and the blow. Then Lleu cast his spear at Goronwy and it pierced the stone and went through, and it went through him [Goronwy] as well and broke his back. A second time did Lleu Llaw Gyffes take possession of his land, and he governed it prosperously. And as the story-tellers relate he became, after this, the lord of Gwynedd.

Thus we have the tale of Lleu Llaw Gyffes, as related in the Mabinogi of Math mab Mathonwy. Some of the events in this tale are also alluded to in the Trioedd Ynys Prydain. Triad 30 gives the war-band of Goronwy of Penllyn as one of the 'Three faithless War-bands of the Island of Briatain'. Triad 67 names Lleu as one of the 'Three Golden Shoemakers of the Island of Britain'. Triad 38 gives Lleu's steed (one of the three bestowed horses of the Island of Britain) as Pale Yellow of the Stud. Triad 20 (the Llyfr Gwyn Rhydderch version) gives Lleu as one of the 'three Red Ravagers of the Island of Britain' though the tale of Lleu's despoiling of Britain is lost to us.

Lleu Llaw Gyffes is undoubtedly the cognate of the Irish deity Lúgh and Gaulush Lugus who is known from toponymic evidence throughout Euorpe (see the page on Lugus for more information). According to the Irish folklore of Lúg his father was Cian of the Tuatha Dé Danann and his mother was Ethniu, daughter of Balor, of the Fomorians. From augury Balor learns that he is to be killed by his grandson, so he locks his daughter Ethniu in a tower of crystal, usually located on Tory Island, to keep her from becoming pregnant. However Cian, with the help of the druidess Birog, managed to enter the tower and seduce her. She gave birth to triplets, but Balor threw them into the ocean. Two of the babies either drowned or turned into seals (compare this with the twin brith of Lleu and Dylan) but Birog saved one, Lug, and gave him to Manannan mac Lir, who became his foster father. He was nursed by Tailtiu (again, compare this with the fostering of Lleu by Gwydion). This tale may point to a lost myth regarding the fathering of Lleu by Gwydion on Arianrhod with Gwydion using his shape-shifting abilities to seduce his sister. There may be a further triplism associated with Lúg's birth in that His father, Cian, is usually mentioned together with his brothers Cú and Cethen (though none of the tales surrounding them survive). If Gwydion truly is Lleu's father the he also forms a sacred triad with his brothers Amaethon and Gofannon.

As a young man Lúg travelled to Tara to join the court of king Nuada of the Tuatha Dé Danann. The doorkeeper would not let him in unless he had a skill with which to serve the king. He offered his services as a wright, a smith, a champion, a swordsman, a harpist, a hero, a poet and historian, a sorcerer and a craftsman, but each time was rejected as the Tuatha Dé already had someone with that skill. But then crafty Lúg asked if they had anyone with all those skills simultaneously and the porter had to admit defeat, and Lug joined the court. He won a flagstone-throwing contest against Ogma, the champion, and entertained the court with his harp. The Irish story here makes plain that Lúg is 'all-skilled'. This feature of the deity is more hidden in the Mabinogi. However, Lleu's sikills as a craftsman are evident as are his skills with arms (gaining his name by striking the wren with a needle, his use of the spear, his magical gaining of arms). The possibility that he was considered multi-skilled is expressed in the englyn above, where the oak holding Lleu is described as supporting a score of crafts. According to the Ulster Cycle Lúg fathered Cúchulainn on the mortal maiden Deichtine. And when When CúChulainn lay wounded after a gruelling series of combats during the Táin BóCuailnge appeared and healed his wounds over a period of three days; which is reminiscent of Lleu's healing by Gwydion. In Irish folklore Lúg also appears in the guise of a trickster. Though this aspect of his persona has been lost in the Mabinogi tale with the function once again being transferred to his uncle/father, Gwydion.

Lug led the Tuatha Dé Danann in the Second Battle of Mag Tuireadh against the Fomorians. Nuada was killed in the battle by Balor. Lug faced Balor, who opened his terrible, poisonous eye that killed all it looked upon, but Lug shot a sling-stone that drove his eye out the back of his head, wreaking havoc on the Fomorian army behind. In some versions he uses a spear. This skill of Lúg with a spear has a parallel in the Cymric tale, both in the manner that Lleu's death can be attained and in the means by which he finally kills Goronwy Bebyr. In the context of the parallel of Lleu with his cognates it is interesting to note that the consort of Lugus (in his guise as the Gaulish Mercury is invariably the goddess Rosmerta and from the various images of her she is known to be a goddess of flowers, amongst other things. Lleu's wife, Blodeuwedd (literally her name means 'flower-aspect') is also a flower goddess and may be an echo of the ancient link between Lugus and the flower maiden. Lúg's epither in Iris is samildánach (skilled in many arts) which direct congnate of Llaw Gyffes though Lúg's other epithet lámfhada approaches llaw gyffes more exactly in form. Though after the Christain period the popularity of Lleu diminished until he became a dim and distant period, the Iris Lúg survided, though his status diminished as he became the leipreachán [leprechaun]) (little bent Lug). Interestingly though two of Lúg/Lugus' attributes remained (shoe-making and the Mercury money-purse in the guise of the crock of gold).

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:01 am

Llyr

Llyr.jpg
Llyr.jpg (69.79 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Llŷr
A Cymric God, also knwon as Llyr, Llŷr Lledyeith, Llŷr Marini, Lír: Sea
Llŷr (Llyr, Llŷr Lledyeith, Llŷr Marini, Lír) is a Cymric (Welsh) and Irish god known from the Welsh and Irish medieval tales and poems. Originally he may be derived from the patronymic of Manawyddan, but Llŷr has developed an independent existence as one of the elder Celtic gods, a god of the sea.

Lynonyms: Llyr, Llŷr Lledyeith, Llŷr Marini, Lír
Cym, Goi: Sea (Llŷr Half-speech, Llŷr of the Sea)

Llŷr and his Irish cognate Lír are both shadowy figures and both the Irish and Cymric cognates mean 'sea' (see below for the etymology). Early accounts of Llŷr and Lír mention them only as patronymics and extant legends about these deities are almost all medieval in origin. Indeed, at least for the Irish Lír it seems that the deity was derived from an attempt at explaining the name of Mananná mac Lír. This deity probably originated from the name of the Isle of Man (or may have been the patron deity of that Island) and the mac Lír simply meant 'from the sea' (from the Irish ler) and was not a proper name at all. Over the course of the intervening centuries the origins of the name were lost and some kind of interpretatin was sought for the mysterious Lír the supposed 'father' of Manannán. This deity's Cymric counterpart is Manawyddan and it seems that this deity's name also derived independently from the name of the Isle of Man (see the entry on Manawyddan for further details). It is unknown, however, whether the Cymric Manawyddan originally bore the epithet 'ap llŷr' (from the sea) or whether this came to Britain from later scholarly understanding of Irish sources where mac Lír became its cognage ap Llŷr (which may explain why the myths of Lír and Llŷr share almost no similarities save for the main protagonist's name). This might also explain the origin of one of Llŷr's epithets Lledyeith. Literally this mans 'half-speech' but it might also be interpreted as 'half-nation' using the Celtic practice of defining a people in terms of the language they spoke. Perhaps Llŷr is 'lledieyth' because of his foreign (ie Irish) origins. Llŷr's other common epithet is Llŷr Marini which is derived from the Old Cymric merin (Llŷr of the sea); which may simply reflect a doublet of the meaning of Llŷr.

Though Llŷr's name occurs frequently in the Mabinogion and the ancient poems of the Cymry, in most cases he is mentioned only in the patronymic. As Llŷr Lledyeith the only instance of this comes in Triad 52 of the Trioedd Ynys Prydein which describes Euroswyd as being the captor of one of the 'Three exalted prisoners of the Island of Britain'. His prisoner being Llŷr Lledyeith. This points towards there being an emnity between Euroswyd and Llŷ and goes some way to explaining how Euroswyd somehow managed to oust Llŷr and replace him as Penarddun's wife. Though, unfortunately the original tale is entirely lost to us. What is known from the Mabinogi of Branwen Ferch Llŷr is that Penarddun was the daughter of Beli Mawr, son of Manogan. Their children, the elder members of the group of supernatural beings known as the Plant Llŷr being Manawyddan, Brân and Branwen. Their half-brothers by way of Euroswyd being the cosmic twins Nissien and Efnissien. It is interesting to note that all Llŷr's children are considered to be giants and thus they have been identified with the giant inhabitants of Ireland, the Fomorians. Now, in Irish legend the Fomorians were eternally opposed to the newcomer gods of that land, the Tuatha Dé Danann (The People of Danu) whose cognate in Cymric mythology are the descendants of Beli Mawr and Dôn, known as the Plant Dôn (The Descendants of Dôn). However, it is not only the names that correspond but also the emnity for a nuber of the tales in the Mabinogi show conflict between the two lineages. This is made even plainer in the poem within the poem found within the Llyfr Taliesin known as the Cad Goddeu (The Battle of the Trees).

As Llŷr Marini he figures in two of the Triads, Triad 63 which names the spectre of Llŷr Marini as one of the 'Three Bull-spectres of the Island of Britain'. This may seem like a rather odd description and in reality the term spectre (ellyll in the original) may in this context be related to the term gwyllt (geilt in Irish) which describes the process of battle-induced madness and indicates that we have lost a tale of an epic battle in which Llŷr Marini became a 'wild man', dwelling in the wilderness. (For a similar tale see the page on Myrddin Wyllt.) The Peniarth MSS 267 of Triad 71 names the 'Three Surpassing bonds of Enduring Love' of which one was the love of Caradawg Strong-arm son of Llŷr Marini for Tegau Gold-breast daughter of Nudd Generous-hand, king of the North. This is fairly obviously a garbled geneology and may well be fairly late in its composition. However, it does fit in with the mediaeval practice of using mythological figures to root the genealogies of various noble houses. This has happened bot to Beli and Llŷ, possibly based on older traditons of their being the fathers of the gods and giants, respectively. Llŷr himself is hailed in all the ancient Cymricc chronicles as the ancestor of the royal Dumnonian Line (The Brythonic rulers of Devon) who claimed descent through Cadwr to Cynan to Caradog mab Brân to Brân and finally to Llŷr Lledyeith himself. In lineages such as those of Mostyn 117 Arthur is grafted onto this same lineage. Obviously as one of the men of the old North, Arthur could not easily be related to the royal line of Dumnonia; it is simply an example of the transposition of the lineages of the old heroes of the Cymric north of Britain to the south. Whish is not to say that the descent of Arthur from Llŷr does not have some mythological merit. Though in the Cymric tales Arthur is presented as the slayer of giants, he and his kin (as well as his wife, Gwenhwyfar) are considered both in written mythos and in folklore either as giants or the offspring of giants. Thus, from a folkloric prespective at least, it seems natural that Arthur would be related to the Brythonic race of giants, the Plant Llŷr and this is where we see the split between the (possibly) historic Arthur and the purely mythological figure.

It has also been proposed that the figures Llŷr and Nudd Llaw Ereint are one and the same figure (see Rachel Bromwich's Trieodd Ynys Prydein for a discussion). I would tend to disagree with this. Lludd is ultimately derived from the god Nodons. Nodons gives us the god Nudd and with his epithet of llaw ereint ('silver hand', which is comparable to his Irish cognate Nuadu Aratlám) a linguistic shift occurs in Cymric with Nudd becoming Lludd to echo the 'll' consonant in llaw. We now have two deities, Lludd and Llŷr with very similar names and it seems that for the copyists of the various Cymric legends and poems they became confused with one another. An example being the version of Triadd 52, about Llŷr's imprisonment contained in the Mabinogi of Culhwch ac Olwen which substitutes Lludd for Llŷr. However, all this points to is a copyist's error rather than any true identity between the two deities (see the entry on Nudd for further details; which is not to say that the two deities do not have similar attributes, both being associated with the sea and fishing. In defence of the separation of Llŷr and Nudd are the works of the gogynfeirdd who name Llŷr frequently in their works indicating that the two deities were known as being separate even in the earliest works.

One of the few other references to Llŷr comes from the Llyfr Taliesin contained in the poem that begins with the line Torrit anuyndawl and is sometimes known as: Y dofiessvys byt where the following lines are seen Ny thric y gofel/No neithavr llyr (His concealment lasts no loger/than the wedding feast of Llŷr). Which suggests some kind of story about the interrupion or prevention of Llŷr's nuptials, though the tale, once more, is lost to us. Though again it may have a bearing on Llŷr's relationship with his wife, Penarddun, who was taken away from him. The only other mentions of Llŷr come from the works of later poets, the cywyddwyr who mention the Tŵr Llŷr (Llŷr's Tower) which may refer to Harlech in Gwynedd. This makes some mythological sense as in the Mabinogi of Branwen ferch Llŷr Brân is first encountered outside his chief llys in Harlech and this may well be the fortress or tower of his father, Llŷr. Llyr's name survives in the name of the city of Leicester which is still known as Caer Lŷr in Cymric. The latinized from Lir Ceastor (The fortress of Llŷr) becoming Leicester.

Etymologically the name Llŷr (and its Irish cognate Lír) is proably derived from the reconstructed proto-Celtic root lījant- (flood, sea). Thus the name of this maritime deity literally means 'Sea'.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:09 am

Lugh

lugh_big.gif
lugh_big.gif (108.31 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Lugh or Lug (/luɣ/; modern Irish: Lú /lu:/) is an Irish deity represented in mythological texts as a hero and High King of the distant past. He is known by the epithets Lámhfhada (pronounced /'la:wad̪ˠə/, meaning "long arm" or "long hand"), for his skill with a spear or sling, Ildánach ("skilled in many arts"), Samhildánach ("Equally skilled in many arts"), Lonnbeimnech ("fierce striker" or perhaps "sword-shouter") and Macnia ("boy hero"), and by the matronymic mac Ethlenn or mac Ethnenn ("son of Ethliu or Ethniu"). He is a reflex of the pan-Celtic god Lugus, and his Welsh counterpart is Lleu Llaw Gyffes, "The Bright One with the Strong Hand".

Lugh's father is Cian of the Tuatha Dé Danann, and his mother is Ethniu, daughter of Balor, of the Fomorians. In Cath Maige Tuired their union is a dynastic marriage following an alliance between the Tuatha Dé and the Fomorians.[1] In the Lebor Gabála Érenn Cian gives the boy to Tailtiu, queen of the Fir Bolg, in fosterage.[2]

A folktale told to John O'Donovan by Shane O'Dugan of Tory Island in 1835 recounts the birth of a grandson of Balor who grows up to kill his grandfather. The grandson is unnamed, his father is called Mac Cinnfhaelaidh and the manner of his killing of Balor is different, but it has been taken as a version of the birth of Lugh, and was adapted as such by Lady Gregory. In this tale, Balor hears a druid's prophecy that he will be killed by his own grandson. To prevent this he imprisons his only daughter in the Tór Mór (great tower) of Tory Island, cared for by twelve women, who are to prevent her ever meeting or even learning of the existence of men. On the mainland, Mac Cinnfhaelaidh owns a magic cow who gives such abundant milk that everyone, including Balor, wants to possess her. While the cow is in the care of Mac Cinnfhaelaidh's brother Mac Samthainn, Balor appears in the form of a little red-haired boy and tricks him into giving him the cow. Looking for revenge, Mac Cinnfhaelaidh calls on a leanan sídhe (fairy woman) called Biróg, who transports him by magic to the top of Balor's tower, where he seduces Eithne. In time she gives birth to triplets, which Balor gathers up in a sheet and sends to be drowned in a whirlpool. The messenger drowns two of the babies, but unwittingly drops one child into the harbour, where he is rescued by Biróg. She takes him to his father, who gives him to his brother, Gavida the smith, in fosterage.[3]

There may be further triplism associated with his birth. His father in the folktale is one of a triad of brothers, Mac Cinnfhaelaidh, Gavida and Mac Samthainn, and his father in the medieval texts, Cian, is often mentioned together with his brothers Cú and Cethen.[4] Two characters called Lugaid, a popular medieval Irish name thought to derive from Lugh, have three fathers: Lugaid Riab nDerg (Lugaid of the Red Stripes) was the son of the three Findemna or fair triplets,[5] and Lugaid mac Con Roí was also known as mac Trí Con, "son of three hounds".[6] In Ireland's other great "sequestered maiden" story, the tragedy of Deirdre, the king's intended is carried off by three brothers, who are hunters with hounds.[7] The canine imagery continues with Cian's brother Cú ("hound"), another Lugaid, Lugaid Mac Con (son of a hound), and Lugh's son Cúchulainn ("Culann's Hound").[8] A fourth Lugaid was Lugaid Loígde, a legendary King of Tara and ancestor of (or inspiration for) Lugaid Mac Con.

Lugh joins the Tuatha Dé Danann[edit]
As a young man Lugh travels to Tara to join the court of king Nuada of the Tuatha Dé Danann. The doorkeeper will not let him in unless he has a skill with which to serve the king. He offers his services as a wright, a smith, a champion, a swordsman, a harpist, a hero, a poet and historian, a sorcerer, and a craftsman, but each time is rejected as the Tuatha Dé Danann already have someone with that skill. But when Lugh asks if they have anyone with all those skills simultaneously, the doorkeeper has to admit defeat, and Lugh joins the court and is appointed Chief Ollam of Ireland. He wins a flagstone-throwing contest against Ogma, the champion, and entertains the court with his harp. The Tuatha Dé Danann are at that time oppressed by the Fomorians, and Lugh is amazed how meekly they accept this. Nuada wonders if this young man could lead them to freedom. Lugh is given command over the Tuatha Dé Danann, and he begins making preparations for war.[9]

The sons of Tuireann[edit]
When the sons of Tuireann: Brian, Iuchar and Iucharba kill Lugh's father, Cian (who was in the form of a pig at the time), Lugh sets them a series of seemingly impossible quests as recompense. They achieve them all but are fatally wounded in completing the last one. Despite Tuireann's pleas, Lugh denies them the use of one of the items they have retrieved, a magic pigskin which heals all wounds. They die of their wounds and Tuireann dies of grief over their bodies.[10]

The Battle of Magh Tuireadh[edit]
Using the magic artifacts the sons of Tuireann have gathered, Lugh leads the Tuatha Dé Danann in the Second Battle of Mag Tuireadh against the Fomorians. Nuada is killed in the battle by Balor. Lugh faces Balor, who opens his terrible, poisonous eye that kills all it looks upon, but Lugh shoots a sling-stone that drives his eye out the back of his head, wreaking havoc on the Fomorian army behind. After the victory Lugh finds Bres, the half-Fomorian former king of the Tuatha Dé Danann, alone and unprotected on the battlefield, and Bres begs for his life. If he is spared, he promises, he will ensure that the cows of Ireland always give milk. The Tuatha Dé Danann refuse the offer. He then promises four harvests a year, but the Tuatha Dé Danann say one harvest a year suits them. But Lugh spares his life on the condition that he teach the Tuatha Dé Danann how and when to plough, sow and reap.[11]

Later life and death[edit]
Lugh instituted an event similar to the Olympic games called the Assembly of Talti which finished on Lughnasadh (1 August) in memory of his foster-mother, Tailtiu, at the town that bears her name (now Teltown, County Meath). He likewise instituted Lughnasadh fairs in the areas of Carman and Naas in honour of Carman and Nás, the eponymous tutelary goddess of these two regions. Horse races and displays of martial arts were important activities at all three fairs. However, Lughnasadh itself is a celebration of Lugh's triumph over the spirits of the Other World who had tried to keep the harvest for themselves. It survived long into Christian times and is still celebrated under a variety of names. Lúnasa is now the Irish name for the month of August.

According to a poem of the dindsenchas, Lugh was responsible for the death of Bres. He made 300 wooden cows, and filled them with a bitter, poisonous red liquid which was then "milked" into pails and offered to Bres to drink. Bres, who was under an obligation not to refuse hospitality, drank it down without flinching, and it killed him.[12]

Lugh is said to have invented the board game fidchell. He had a dog called Failinis.

He had several wives, including Buí and Nás, daughters of Ruadri, king of Britain. Buí lived and was buried at Knowth. Nás was buried at Naas, County Kildare, which is named after her. Lugh had a son, Ibic, by Nás.[13] His daughter or sister was Ebliu, who married Fintan. One of his wives, unnamed, had an affair with Cermait, son of the Dagda. Lugh killed him in revenge, but Cermait's sons, Mac Cuill, Mac Cecht and Mac Gréine, killed Lugh in return, drowning him in Loch Lugborta. He had ruled for forty years.

Lugh in other cycles and traditions[edit]
In the Ulster Cycle he fathered Cúchulainn with the mortal maiden Deichtine. When Cúchulainn lay wounded after a gruelling series of combats during the Táin Bó Cuailnge (Cattle Raid of Cooley), Lugh appeared and healed his wounds over a period of three days.
In Baile in Scáil (The Phantom's Trance), a story of the Historical Cycle, Lugh appeared in a vision to Conn of the Hundred Battles. Enthroned on a daïs, he directed a beautiful woman called the Sovereignty of Ireland to serve Conn a portion of meat and a cup of red ale, ritually confirming his right to rule and the dynasty that would follow him.
In the Fenian Cycle the dwarf harper Cnú Deireóil claimed to be Lugh's son.
The Luigne, a people who inhabited Counties Meath and Sligo, claimed descent from him.
Lugh’s possessions[edit]
Lug possessed a number of magical items, retrieved by the sons of Tuirill Piccreo in Middle Irish redactions of the Lebor Gabála. Not all the items will be listed here. The late narrative Fate of the Children of Tuireann not only gives a list of items gathered for Lugh. The same romance also endows him with such gifts from the sea god Manannán as the sword Fragarach, the horse Enbarr (Aonbarr), the boat Scuabtuinne / Sguaba Tuinne (Ir.)(Wave-Sweeper).,[14] his armor and helmet.

Lug's Spear[edit]
The lore around Lug's Spear is traced as follows:

Four Treasures Spear of Lug[edit]
Lugh's spear (sleg), according to the text of The Four Jewels of the Tuatha Dé Danann, was an insuperable spear,[15] taken to Ireland from Gorias (or Findias).[16]

Gae Assail[edit]
Lugh obtained the Spear of Assal (Ir: Gae Assail) as fine (éric) imposed on the children of Tuirill Piccreo (or Biccreo), according to the short account in Lebor Gabála Érenn (Poem LXV, 319)[16] which adds that the incantation "Ibar (Yew)" made the cast always hit its mark, and "Athibar (Re-Yew)" caused the spear to return.

Areadbhar[edit]
In a full narrative version called [A]oidhe Chloinne Tuireann (The Fate of the Children of Tuireann),[17][18] from copies no earlier than the 18th century, Lugh demands the spear named Ar-éadbair or Areadbhair (Early Mod. Irish Aɼéadḃaiɼ) which belonged to Pisear, king of Persia. Its tip had to be kept immersed in a pot of water to keep it from igniting, a property similar to the Lúin of Celtchar. This spear is also called "Slaughterer"[19] in translation.

Finest Yew of the Wood[edit]
There is yet another name that Lugh's spear goes by: "A [yew] tree, the finest of the wood" (Early Mod. Irish eó bo háille d'ḟíoḋḃaiḃ),[17] occurring in an inserted verse within The Fate of the Children of Tuireann. And "the famous yew of the wood" (ibar alai fhidbaidha) is also the name that Lugh's spear is called by in a tract which alleges that it, the Lúin of Celtchar and the spear Crimall that blinded Cormac Mac Airt were the one and the same weapon (tract in TCD MS 1336 (olim H 3. 17), col. 723, discussed in the Lúin page).[20]

Sling-stone[edit]
Lugh used the sling-stone (cloich tabaill) to slay his grandfather, Balor the Strong-Smiter in the Battle of Magh Tuired according to the brief accounts in the Lebor Gabála Érenn.[21] The narrative Cath Maige Tured, preserved in a unique 16th century copy, words it slightly different saying that Lugh used the sling-stone (here liic talma § 133, i.e. lía "stone" of the tailm "sling") to destroy the evil eye of Balor of the Piercing Eye (Bolur Birugderc).[22]

Tathlum[edit]
A certain poem recorded by O'Curry in English translation[23] says that the missile fired by Lugh was a tathlum (táthluib "(slingstone made of) cement").

Nature Myth Items[edit]
Lugh's projectile weapon whether a dart or missile was envisioned by symbolic of lightning-weapon T. F. O'Rahilly.[24] Lugh’s sling rod was the rainbow and the Milky Way which was called "Lugh's Chain". Unllike the rod-sling, Lugh had no need to wield the spear himself. It was alive and thirsted so for blood that only by steeping its head in a sleeping-draught of pounded fresh poppy seeds could it be kept at rest. When battle was near, it was drawn out; then it roared and struggled against its thongs, fire flashed from it, and it tore through the ranks of the enemy once slipped from the leash, never tired of slaying.[25]

Fragarach[edit]
Lugh is also seen girt with the Freagarthach (better known as Fragarach), the sword of Manannán, in the assembly of the Tuatha Dé Danann in the Fate of the Children of Tuireann.

Lugh’s horse(s) and magic boat[edit]
Lugh had a horse named Aenbharr which could fare over both land and sea. Like much of his equipment, it was furnished to him by the sea god Manannán mac Lir. When the Children of Tuireann asked to borrow this horse, Lugh begrudged them, saying it would not be proper to make a loan of a loan. Consequently Lugh was unable to refuse their request to use Lugh's currach (coracle) or boat, the Wave-Sweeper (Sguaba Tuinne (Ir.))[14]

In the Lebor Gabála,[26] Gainne & Rea were the names of the pair of horses belonging to the king of the isle of Sicily [on the (Tyrrhene sea)], which Lug demanded as éric from the sons of Tuirill Briccreo.

Lugh’s hound Failinis[edit]
Main article: Failinis
Failinis was the name of the whelp of the King of Ioruaidhe that Lugh demanded as éiric in the Oidhead Chloinne Tuireann. This concurs with the name of the hound mentioned in an "Ossianic Ballad,"[27] sometimes referred to by its opening line "Dám Thrír Táncatair Ille (They came here as a band of three)". In the ballad the hound is called Ṡalinnis (Shalinnis) or Failinis (in the Lismore text),[28] and belonged to a threesome from Iruaide whom the Fianna encounter. It is described as "the ancient grayhound.. that had been with Lugh of the Mantles, / Given him by the sons of Tuireann Bicreann;.."[29]

That hound of mightiest deeds,
Which was irresistible in hardness of combat,
Was better than wealth ever known,
A ball of fire every night.
Other virtues had that beautiful hound
(Better this property than any other property),
Mead or wine would grow of it,
Should it bathe in spring water.
O'Curry's excerpt ends here, but the subsequent verse runs "The three full-fledged heroes are called Sél, Donait and Domhnán. The dog of the fairest figure, Failinis was brought to Finn". These threesome also appear in Acallamh na Sénorach though in that work the wonder-dog is called Fer Mac.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:13 am

Luchtaine (or Luchta) was a son of Brigid and Tuireann and the carpenter or wright of the Tuatha Dé Danann. He and his brothers Creidhne and Goibniu were known as the Trí Dée Dána, the three gods of art, who forged the weapons which the Tuatha Dé used to battle the Fomorians

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:16 am

Macha

Macha.jpg
Macha.jpg (245.21 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Macha is an Irish war Goddess, strongly linked to the land. Several Goddesses or heroines bear Her name, but She is generally thought of as one aspect of the triple death Goddess the Mórrígan ("Great Queen" or "Phantom Queen"), consisting of Macha "Raven," Badb "Scald Crow" or "Boiling," and Nemain "Battle Fury." Macha is associated with both horses and crows.

The Mórrígan is both sex and battle Goddess, and Her personality is usually described as both war-like and alluring. She is known to be a prophetess: the Washer at the Ford is said to be one aspect of Her, Who appears to those about to die. She is commonly shown washing bloody clothes at a river ford; when approached, She tells the enquirer the clothes are theirs. Like the bean sidhe (banshee), Whom She is believed related to, She is an omen of death.

As Goddess of the land, the Mórrígan are said to be cognate with Ana or Danu, and Macha is said to be one of the Tuatha Dé Danann.

Three other aspects of Macha feature in Irish folklore, which likely derive from a common Goddess, as they are all said to have a mother named Ernmas (also considered to be the mother to Eriu, Banba, and Fódla, sacred names for Ireland). One Macha, a seeress, was the wife of Nemed "Sacred," Who invaded Ireland and fought the Fomorians in Irish legend. Emain Macha, a bronze-age hill fort in Northern Ireland, and legendary capital of Ulster, is said to have been named for Her.

The second Macha, titled Mong Ruadh ("red-haired"), was a warrior and Queen, who overpowered Her rivals and forced them to build Emain Macha for Her.

The third Macha, and probably the most well-known, was said to be the wife of one Crunniuc. Like many supernatural lovers, She warns him to tell no one of Her existence; but he boasts to the king of Ulster that his wife can outrun the fastest chariot. The king then seizes the very pregnant Macha and forces Her to run a race against his horses. In spite of Her condition, She races and does win, and as She crosses the finish line She gives birth. In Her dying pain and anger She curses the men of Ulster to nine times nine generations, that in their time of worst peril they should suffer the pain of childbirth.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:22 am

Maeve

maeve.jpg
maeve.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Maeve’s themes are fairies, magic, protection, leadership, and justice (law). Her symbols are birds and gold. As the Fairy Queen, Maeve oversees today’s merrymaking among the citizens of fey during their Fairy Gatherings. She also attends to human affairs by providing protection, wise leadership and prudent conventions. Works of art depict Maeve with golden birds on Her shoulders, whispering magical knowledge into Her ear.
Near the beginning of May, the wee folk of Ireland come out of hiding for a grand celebration of spring. If you don’t want the Maeve and the citizens of fey to pull pranks on you today, take precautions, as the Europeans do: avoid travelling, put a piece of clothing on inside-out, wear something red, and leave the fairy folk an offering of sweet bread, honey or ale. In some cases, this will please the fairies so much that they will offer to perform a service or leave you a gift in return!
When you need to improve your command of a situation or inspire more equity, call on Maeve through this spell:
Take a piece of white bread and toast it until it’s golden brown. Scratch into the bread a word or phrase representing your goal (for example, if raises at work haven’t been given fairly, write the words ‘work’ and ‘raises’). Distribute the crumbs from this to the birds so they can convey your need directly to Maeve’s ears.”
(Patricia Telesco, “365 Goddess: a daily guide to the magic and inspiration of the goddess”.)
“Of the great female figures of Ireland, Maeve was probably the most splendid. Originally a Goddess of the land’s sovereignty and of its mystic center at Tara, She was demoted in myth, as the centuries went on and Irish culture changed under Christian influence, to a mere mortal queen.

But no mortal queen could have been like this one, this ‘intoxication’ or ‘drunken woman’ (variant meanings of Her name), who ran faster than horses, slept with innumerable kings whom She then discarded, and wore live birds and animals across Her shoulders and arms. If there ever was a woman named Maeve who reigned as queen of Ireland, it is probable that She was the namesake of the Goddess; the Goddess’s legends may have attached themselves to a mortal bearer of Her name.
Maeve is the central figure of the most important old Irish epic, the Tain Bo Cuillaigne, or Cattle Raid of Cooley. The story begins with Maeve, ruler of the Connaught wilderness in the Irish west, Iying abed with Her current consort, King Aillil. They compare possessions, Aillil attempting to prove he owns more than She does. Point for point, Maeve matches him. Finally, Aillil mentions a magical bull-and wins the argument, for Maeve has no such animal.
But She knows of one, the magic bull of Cooley in northern Eire. And so Maeve gathers Her armies to steal it. She rides into battle in an open car, with four chariots surrounding Her, for She is glamorously attired and does not wish to muddy Her robes. She is a fierce opponent, laying waste the armies of the land, for no man could look on Maeve without falling down in a paroxysm of desire.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:26 am

Manannan mac Lir

manannan.jpg
manannan.jpg (62.91 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

'Manannan, Son of Lir', was an Irish sea-god (OI leir, ler, 'sea, ocean')and eponymous hero-god of the Manxmen, whose island was named after him. He also is directly related to the Welsh sea-god Manawydan fab Llyr. Like many of the primal IE ocean gods, Manannan was older than the Danann sky gods, yet was considered one of them. This suggests a primordial origin similar to the Norse's Aegir. After all, the great gods of all IE mythologies were mostly sky gods. The Greeks, who lost their sky god triumvirate, reconstructed a triad with Poseidon and Hades possibly under pre-Greek indigenous influence. However, to the Norse the ocean god Aegir was not part of the Aesir even though he had close and friendly relations with them.

Manannan rode his horse or chariot across the tops of the waves as did both Poseidon and Aegir. He also had a mantle and helmet of invisibility (or flames), and an unfailing sword. He was usually depicted with a green cloak fastened with a silver brooch, a satin shirt, a gold fillet, and golden sandals. In Celtic fashion he was also a shape-changer.

His abode was, like Aegir's, vaguely defined. He was said to live in a sea palace like his Greek and Norse equivalents. Yet according to some accounts there seems also to have been his mythical island called Tir Tairnigiri ‘land of promise’. This was apparently one of the Blessed Isles of the Otherworld where he was said to rule Mag Mell ('Field of Joy'). However, the Isle of Manx was also his, called by the Irish Mana and the Welsh Manaw. The Roman name for the Isle of Anglesy, which they called Mona, was probably a confused idienitification with Manx, which they called Monapia. In any case this parallels Aegir's possession of the Isle of Hlesey in Scandinavia.

Manannan was a major character in Irish myth. The Celts seem to have not feared him in the way the Norse feared Aegir and the Greeks feared Poseidon. Like his counterparts, Manannan could whip up the ocean's waters or make them calm, although he was not as closely identified with wrecking ships and drowning sailors. The Manxmen celebrated their eponymous god at festivals. He was also seen as a god who could bring fertility and prosperity. This function is expressed most vividly during the journey of Bran to Tir inna mban, the otherworldly 'land of women'. Driving his chariot across the waves, he left in his wake a field of flowers. The white caps of the waves became flowering shrubs and the seaweed turned to fruit trees. He was also accompanied by salmon that appeared as calves and lambs.

As with other ocean gods, Manannan was associated with the IE 'cauldron of regeneration'. This notion was mostly closely found in his tale with Cormac mac Airt. Here, he appeared at Cormac's ramparts in the guise of a warrior who told him he came from a land where old age, sickness, death, decay, and falsehood were unknown (the Otherworld was also known as the 'Land of Youth' or the 'Land of the Living'). Having had his wife and children abducted, Cormac followed the disguised Manannan back to what equated to his paradisal palace at Mag Mell. By the end of the story Cormac had not only retrieved his family but was the owner of a bough with three apples and a golden cup (a precursor to the Holy Grail). Both symbolized and had the powers of healing and regeneration.

He and his wife Fand fostered several characters, including the great god Lugh. In one tale Fand (pearl of beauty) was loved by the mortal hero Cuchulainn after she quarreled with Manannan and he left her. Finally, however, Cuchulainn's wife Emer found him and took him home. Cuchulainn's pining for the love of Fand was finally broken by Manannan, who cast a spell that caused the mortal hero to forget his beloved goddess (compare with the Norse's Sigurd and Brunhild).

Elsewhere in Irish myth he banished his son Gaiar’s lover Becuma from Tir Tairnigiri to the human world, where she caused infertility and misery. Manannan also had a mortal son named Mongan who was born out of wedlock (to an Ulster queen) and reared by a wizard (compare with Arthur). Mongan, who in Irish legend is identified as a reincarnation of Finn mac Cumhail (and hence also of Lugh, the foster son of Manannan), became a king and hero of Ulster, inheriting his father’s shape-changing powers.

In Wales he was known as Manawyddan or Morgan Mywnoaur, where he owned a marvelous chariot similar to Manannan’s amphibious vehicle. His other accoutrements were a sword, cauldron, suit of clothes, hounds, a drinking horn, whetstone, destiny stone, knife, harp, bottle and platter -- all with magical powers. He was also called Barinthus.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:32 am

Mathonwy

Mathonwy.gif
Mathonwy.gif (45.7 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Mathonwy
A Cymric God/Goddess: Bear of the Ash Grove
Mathonwy is a Cymric (Welsh) god/goddess known from the patronymic or matronymic of Math who is always referred to as Math fab Mathonwy. Originally a god/goddess Mathonwy's ancestry and attributes are now lost to us.

Mathonwy is a figure known only from the patronymic/matronymic of Math fab Mathonwy the central figur of the Mabinogi of Math fab Mathonwy.

In the tale Math is the master mage and there are things Math can do which even his nephew the arch-mage Gwydion is incapable of. The tale also tells us that Math is the uncle of Gwydion,Gilfaethwy and Arianrhod which makes him the brother of the goddess Dôn. This would therefore make Mathonwy the parent of Dôn as well as Math. To determine which parent is implie we need to examine a peculiarity of the Gwynedd line, as represented in the Mabinogi of Math fab Mathonwy in that all the main characters: Gwydion, Gilfaethwy and Arianrhod are known by their matronymics. Even Dylan and Lleu are born fatherless and Dylan at least is known by the name of his grandmother as Dylain eil Dôn (though there is a hint that Gwydion is their father) as is Blodeuwedd, for she is created from flowers. Even Math himself may be referred to in terms of the matronymic for Mathonwy may be a female name, as in the girl's name Gwenonwy though other names ending in -onwy are male (cf Daronwy). It is also possible, as Rachel Bromwich has discussed in the Trioedd Ynys Prydein that Mathonwy simply represents a duplicative echo of Math, a phenomenon seen in a number of the 'spurious' patronymics of Arthur's knights in the Mabinogion of Culhwch ac Olwen. What is not in doubt is that the house Gwynedd followed a system of matrilinear descent and if Mathonwy represents a treu deity then this would make her the female originator of the entire house, being the mother of Math and Dôn, both. Even Math's cynneddf of having a virgin foot-holder who in some respects represents the spirit of his realm.

Etymologically, the name Math (and its Irish cognates), and by extension the name of Mathonwy are related to Gaulish names such as Matunus and are derived from the reconstructed proto-Celtic lexical element Matu- (bear). Thus Math is the mage-Bear and his name hints at the role of the bear as the avatar of the seer. The ending of the name -onwy is uncertain, but it may be related to the reconstructed proto-Celtic elements *onno- (ash tree) and the Middle Cymric wy (his/hers) or it could be related to the Cymric onwydd (ash tree). Thus the name means something like 'Bear of the Ash Tree' or, perhaps, 'Bear of the Ash Grove'.

As well as the Mabinogi, Mathonwy is given as the matronymic of Math in several other Cymric sources such as the first of these is Triad 28 of the Trioedd Ynys Prydain which names Math as one of the 'Three Great Enchanters of the Island of Britain' and goes on to say that he taught these enchantments to Gwydion. Math is also mentioned in the Llyfr Taliesin poem, the Cad Goddeu (Battle of the Trees) where the narrator of the poem speaks of beng engendered by Math and of the creation of a second Math. The poem Prif Gyfarch Taliesin in the Llyfr Taliesin also names Math and Gwydion as great enchanters. In the same volume, Math vab Mathonwy is named in the poem Marwnad Aedon: Math ac euuyd. hutwyt geluyd... (Math and Efydd fashioned by magic a skilled poet). Another epithet of Math, found in the work of the gogynfeirdd and the Llyfr Taliesin poems is Math Hen (Math the Old), possibly relating to the antiquity of the character.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:37 am

Midir

Midir.jpg
Midir.jpg (181.91 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Midir (Old Irish) or Midhir (Modern Irish) was a son of the Dagda of the Tuatha Dé Danann. After the Tuatha Dé were defeated by the Milesians, he lived in the sidh of Brí Léith (believed to be Ardagh Mountain, Co. Longford). In the First Recension of the Lebor Gabála, Midir of Brí Léith is made the "son of Induí son of Échtach son of Etarlam"
Midir is one of the leading characters in the Old Irish saga Tochmarc Étaíne ("The Wooing of Étaín"), which makes leaps through time from the age of the Túatha Dé Danann to the time of Eochaid Airem, High King of Ireland. Midir was the husband of Fúamnach, but later fell in love with Étaín, receiving the help of his foster-son and half-brother Aengus (also Oengus) to make her his new bride. This provoked Fuamnach's vengeance against the young new wife, causing her a number of disgraces until after several transformations (including water, a worm, and a butterfly or dragonfly) Étaín fell into the drink of another woman and was reborn. She later married Eochaid Airem, at that time the High King of Ireland. Far from giving up, Midir made an attempt to bring his wife back home, going to see the king and challenging him to many games of fidchell. Eochaid won all but the last, when Midir won and asked a kiss from Étaín as his prize. Eochaid kept his word and allowed Midir the kiss, but Mider turned himself and Étaín into swans and left the royal residence through the chimney. Eochaid did not accept the loss of his wife and pursued them. Then Midir used his magical powers to turn fifty women into similar to Étaín, offering the king the possibility to choose only one. Eochaid, trying to find the true one, chose his own daughter by accident and lost Étaín, also fathering a daughter upon his own daughter in the process

Midir figures in a brief anecdote about the stingy poet Athirne son of Ferchertne in the heroic age portrayed by the Ulster Cycle. The story, entitled Aigidecht Aitherni ("The Guesting of Athirne") in one manuscript, recounts that Athirne came to Midir's house in Brí Léith and fasted against him so that he obtained from him his three magical cranes which stood outside his house denying entry or hospitality to anyone who approached. Moreover, "[a]ny of the men of Ireland who saw them could not face equal combat on that day."[3]

Midir also interfered when Fráech attempted to woo Treblainne.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 am

Morrigan

The-Celtic-Goddess-Morrigan-41064010042.jpeg
The-Celtic-Goddess-Morrigan-41064010042.jpeg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 16796 times

Morrigan
This article is about the Goddess Morrigan, whom archaeological evidence now tells us, dates back beyond the Copper age, and was the dominant Goddess of Europe called the Great Goddess. When I read the material about Morrigan, I suspected that there was more to her story, and that she was a transporter between life and death; a birth Goddess and a death Goddess in that she moved the soul through these cycles. Later writing seems to concentrate on her connection to death, but comes to view her, as warrior societies often do, in a way connected to their own needs (power, energy, enchantment and warfare). Some writing of course does not, she is seen as a healer, the protector of the land and the person who brings Arthur to power. I went through literary accounts of her to give a fuller picture of her, one that is I think more meaningful to many people, including myself.

Stone stelae with sculpted breasts have been discovered at Castelucio de Sauri, some with only breasts and a necklace as a marker. They date back to the Copper Age c.3000BC. In Spain, France, Portugal and England statues, menhirs and stone slabs frequently also display her eyes, her beak and sometimes her vulva. Parts of her seem hidden, then appearing, so as one looks at the pottery artefacts there is more and more of her to piece together. She is a bird goddess, an earth goddess, and her breasts not only nourish the living, they also regenerate the dead. Her breasts were believed to form the hills in County Kerry called Da Chich Annan (the paps of Anu). She is the Irish Morrigan, Goddess of Death and Guardian of the Dead. She has in these early Celtic representations, a bird’s head (often a crow, raven or vulture) and breasts, and on vessels depicting her there is a symbol for the number three. Sometimes three lines are connected and depict a triple energy that flows from her body, as she is giver and sustainer of life. Very early she is under stood to be a triple goddess, a shape shifter, a three part person. Her names are plentiful and sound like her original name.

In Newgrange, Ireland, is her grand megalithic tomb-shrine. Within it are three stone cells, three stone basins, engravings of triple snake spirals, coils, arcs and brow ridges. Her signs appear on spindle whirls, altars, sacrificial vessels, vases, pebbles, and pendants. She is the chevron and V, the inverted triangle, the earth element. She is the triple source of power needed to regenerate cycles, to take one from life to death and from death to life. Figurines often pair sprouting seed and vulvas, fish in the ocean, and the female body as a passageway. Vultures and owls are associated with her; spirals, crows and ravens; lunar circles and snake coils. Female figures lock to form circles, fairy rings, and circles de fees. Her followers do energetic ring dances, dangerous to an intruder who tries to break in. Her circles transmit energy by the increased powers of stone, water, and mound of circling motion. She is the moon’s three phases, maiden, nymph and crone; the moon, new, waxing and old. She is the source of life giving, death and transformation, regeneration and renewing. Marie Gimbutas, the emeritus professor of European Archaeology - who has written extensively on her artefacts - believes that knowledge of her can lead the world towards a sexually equalitarian, non-violent, and earth-centred future.

Some writers claim that she did not have a consort, others that her consort was the horned god. It seems at least that if there were other gods they did not subordinate her in the beginning. This changed as the Celtic lands became less agrarian, and more dependent on a warrior class for survival. Robert Graves describes an aspectual division of the goddess into many kinds of females and powers as analogous to the battle of the trees, in which powers divided among the seasons, each one dominant at a certain time. Joseph Campbell and other Jungians might argue that the Copper Age understanding of Morrigan was a form of monotheism. I think there is another perspective that might also be taken by many Druids, that whatever enters this life to pull us out of Abred is fractured in our vision, and as we are spirits inside spirits, our visions are personal and come with our most meaningful experiences, and slip away when they are generalized too far. So we are polytheists, in this sense (I think both of these approaches are fruitful.) The female figures into which Morrigan is divided do not seem to be as powerful after the Amairgin invasion, at least in much of the literature which has been preserved. Often she is seen through the eyes of frightened men.

The Celtic Druid’s Years by John King claims that Samhain was the mating time between Dagda ( the great God) and Morrigan. Lugh might also have been a consort, of the Morrigan who shared Bran’s totem animal, but who could also be a bear, so this is one of her aspects. Another is that she was one of the Banshee or Bean Nighe. There is a saying among the Irish and highland Scots that a woman who dies in childbirth better not leave the laundry unfinished, or she will have to come back and wash it until the day of her natural death. Washers at the Ford, if they are seen by any human, someone is to die soon. Bean Nighe dresses in green and has red webbed feet (bird feet?), one nostril and one tooth. Very prominent long breasts fall from her chest and if you can grab and suck one, you will be granted any wish. You can ask her three questions and she will answer but then you must answer three from her, and if you lie it is too bad for you.

We know that the banshee were shape shifters, and that they appear in Finnegan’s Wake, washing the laundry of Ireland as it grows dark (the Anna Liva Plurabella section is the Morrigan section). In early Celtic writing Morrigan, and her two war goddess sisters, could appear in the form of crows. Madness and Violence, Badb and Neiman were her sisters. She is tri-part and terrifying in the battle between Fin and Goll. One of Finn’s Captains rides a warhorse named Badb which is grey and black and has wings, so it’s like the hooded Royston or scarecrow, which most often devoured the dead in the British Isles. Its head is hooded like an executioner. Morrigan is defending Ireland, her three parts scream ‘KRAA KRA’, a sky ripping croak. Finn’s army has long horns which sound like calling ravens.

For the red mouthed Badh will cry around the house
For bodies it will be solicitous
Pale Badbs shall sheik
Badbs will be over the breasts of men.

-from Bruiden Da Choca.

Notice this however: crows do not make people dead, they eat and transform bodies. Morrigan is not death itself, she is the keeper of death, and she is frightening. Sometimes enemies ran because of the fearful and magical appearance of the army.

In Ireland Morrigu (another name for Morrigan) and Badbs meld and can both take on the features of a human hag. This is the old age aspect of the Goddess. It has been theorized by some that it is men who most fear and sometimes disrespect older women. She represents the loss of power and finitude of lifespan, a realization not easy even for Finn. She represents her own power, reincarnation, rebirth and a point of view (wisdom in age) which can’t be banished.

Over his head is shrieking
a lean hag, quickly hopping
Over the points of weapons and shields.
She is the gray haired Morrigu

-Annals of Leinster

Dusk grey cloud feathers and the gloss of midnight awaited Goll’s sunset army as he retreated into the arms of the terrible mother.

She has been called the Irish Kali, eating and being eaten. There is some similarity, she is frightening, She and her sisters can join into a horrible ring through which a warrior might disappear, one full of teeth and hair. But notice this parallel: Goll has another name, Crom Dubh. In Ireland Finn (the light) lives on one side of the Island and Crom or Goll ( maybe the God of Connan the Barbarian brought up from India or Summer) lives on the other. He is the dark spirit, the hidden who carried the corn mother on his shoulders. This has to do with the way of the light, the balance of the light and dark, and the sinking of the year. Goll sinks like the old sun into the ocean.

We should also note that the stories of Goll and Finn are not all alike, that in some, Finn does not kill Goll and in others Goll rescues Finn from the three hags of winter (Morrigan again.) And often in the tales, Goll is the more sympathetic figure, sensitive towards his wife, and tragic, while Finn’s temperamental bent is to great rage. Morrigan, I think is hidden like Goll. Finn is the bright edge of the sword, reason, and heroism.
Three phantom spirits come out of the Kreshcorran, Devilish, three unsightly mouths, (long lips down to the knees.) Six unclosing white eyes, six twisting legs under them, three warlike swords, three shields, three spears.

It goes together with the tooth mother, the devouring goddess who chases Tailesin and devours him, and then gives birth to him. Being killed and devoured means entering the life cycle again, transported by a woman. Maybe the enemy of a hero is female realism, survival, death, devouring, madness, and decline with age. Heroic canons often do not include real moral dilemmas which no rulebook will settle: guilts that can never be mended; the unconscious parts and spirits of the mind; enchantment and survival needs; passage through cauldrons (stomach and uterus) to make life.

The Anna Liva Plurabella section in Finnegan’s Wake is a modern reconstruction of Morrigan. It starts with the demand to describe the river Livey. One overhears a blend of voices, describing the enchanting effects of human beauty, the nature of women, voices from Celtic Epics, woven together like threads from the Book of Kells. Irreverent-reverent history, and at the end at the Ford we hear the Bean Nighe, doing Ireland’s wash as the images of female archetypes wash, haunted, down into the night:

Ireland sober is Ireland stiff. Lord help you Maria full of Grease, the load is with me.

They mention Finn MacCool and state that Anne was Liva is and Plurabella is to be. The washerwomen bring unconsciousness in which stories fade from person into trees and stones:

My foos won’t move. I feel as old as yonder elm. A tale told of Shaun or She. All Livia’s daughter’ sons. Dark hawks hear us, night, Night, My ho head halls. I feel as heavy as younger stone. Tell me of John or Shaun. Who were Shem and Shaun the living sons and daughters of ? Night now. Tell me a tale of stem or stone. Beside the rivering waters of , the hithering and thithering waters of Night.

Finally in the Arthurian vision not everyone, but many Celtic Scholars, trace Morrigan and her two sisters here called Macha and Modron, to Morgan le Fay. She was the most beautiful of nine sisters, living on the Isle of Avalon. She was Fata Morgana.

In the Arthurian Book of the Days on the 13th of December ( a beautiful cycle and weaving of the Arthur tales, Lancelot also suffers at the hands of Morrigan ( Morgain, Morgan?) le Fay in the Valley of No Return, where he must face trials and tests in the shape of dragons and spectral knights, a wall of fire and a gigantic knight with an ax. In the same volume Morrigan plots to murder Arthur, and give his power to Accolon of Gaul, and she almost succeeds in this, since she had given Accolon Excaliber, but during the battle he loses control of it and the sword flies back to Arthur. So in an overview of the tales, Morrigan is a villainess and uses illusion to try to destroy Arthur although she fails. And yet the thirtieth of December according to the same source,

King Arthur awoke from his long sleep in which there were many fevered dreams, and he rose and looked about him. Deep bowered and fair, the green landscape stretched about him on all sides. Sweet apple trees grew by the banks of a shallow stream, and white blossoms was upon them like snow. But though the season should have been winter, the air was balmy and soft, and above, in the sky, the sun and moon shown forth together, and there were stars. Then Arthur knew that he was in Avalon, the region of the Summer Stars, where rain and snow fall not, and where the great ones of the world await a call to arms. Smiling, Arthur stretched his muscles and set off to walk by the stream, listening for the murmur that would tell him that the Round table was met again amid the trees.

Some tales say Arthur was taken to Avalon by Morrigan, and that as a transporter she is neither good nor evil; others that she is a particular corrupt spirit. Arthurian tales are more particular in their characters, than earlier more mythical sagas. I think the guardian-ship of the land by a pure human leader with no moral faults is the theme of Arthur. Natural but non-moral spirits attack him, but they also help him, and it is he (and the knight’s code) that gives them a man of perfect judgment to restore the land. So I am willing to think that Morrigan might have many aspects in these stories which are like her old Queen Role. Yet she no longer controls justice in these stories, even if Morgan the betrayer, Morgan the sister and The Lady of the Lake are one.

Morrigan and her sisters are shape shifters, transporters through the cauldrons that take one from life to death (crows, stomachs, human intestines, going under the ground, madness, degenerative change.) and from death to life (the midwife, the corn goddess, the earth, the moon-change). One should not see her as simply a daemon. Better to think of first female goddess, stronger than battle, and more hidden. She can fly; she can change her shape from old to young; she is kindly and well trained in medicine. She is Arthur’s sister, perhaps his soul sister, perhaps his double (as a doppelganger is a double).

According to the New Arthurian Dictionary her reputation gets better in poetry, worse in prose as the tradition goes on. In Vulgate cycle she envies Guinevere, and tries to undo her. In the prose Tristran, she gives Arthur’s court a drinking horn, which no one unfaithful can drink from. She becomes a mortal who has to hide her age. Perhaps the reason for this parallels the movement of the story from a dominant female perspective to a dominant male perspective. Guinevere threatens her anam cara relationship with Arthur, by being the realization of his desires, but not the same as himself, which makes Arthur dominant. This dominance is I think reflected in the term pendragon, which might mean the head dragon or it might mean the dragon’s head. Remember that Druidry is the white light, having more to do with that than the hidden. And that the hidden tends to be less cerebral, less connected with metal powers and heroism, and more connected with natural process.

Morgan should not be seen as an evil goddess, she is also birth, the midwife, the healer, and sometimes the moon. If you take the meaning of the head of the dragon, then Arthur is the white light of the dragon power; his intuition for justice and druid wisdom makes him able to give the dragon a head. I like this interpretation. Malory gives Morgan a bad reputation, but I am more willing to believe the first intuition, that she is Arthur’s sister. Modern women writers sense this I think and are eager to put her in balance. The belief in her as villain seems to me to be close to masculine fear of powerful women. To be too heroic is to cross the boundaries of what is natural: birth, helplessness, lack of power, vulnerability and death (I parallel this to Juliana Kristava’s work on horror, in which she points out that the intellect seems to be there, not so much for its owner, but to protect the body).

There are some good hidden questions here:

Why are there apples in the land of Avalon, which is after all, up in the Summer stars? Snow white is put to sleep by an apple, could it be then, an equation of apple and sleep. Or is this the place that holds the principle of apples; the rebirth of plants and self-sewn grains - this seems like a missing part of the puzzle. Apples with their pentagon- star-in -a -circle mystery; the love and life cycle. Apples are equated with earth.

Another missing part seems to be a story about possession. Does Morgan want to possess Arthur; in that her greatest power is to take him away from his judgement, to make him sleep?

The roles of women at the time depicted in the Arthurian Cycle have become less universal. When men and women defended their land together as they did earlier, strong survival bonds probably existed between men and women. By the time of courtly Arthur, tales only of men who went to war, sometimes for years, so those strong bonds formed in war existed only among men. Women are more likely seen as someone to protect, and admire for innocence and youth. Arthurian times are idealistic and inward, but they are more Patriarchal.

The Bean Nighe, the Washers at the Ford, along with the saying about getting the washing done first, sounds as if there might have been a rhetoric to push young women into menial tasks although I am pretty sure that Joyce’s intent is that they are the makers of history, the stitchers of the dream of life, although they do it cursing and gossiping and they clean the mind and set the soul loose.

These things jump out at me, and yet if they are tied together too closely the story wilts. But one thing is clear. Rationality and moral consciousness (love of justice) count in Druidry and so does the Animistic perspective. The Great Goddess is still powerful, as well as the Way of the Light

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Myrddin Emrys

Myrrdin (Merlin ).jpg
Myrrdin (Merlin ).jpg (86.1 KiB) Viewed 16795 times

A Cymric Arthurian Hero, also known as Merlin, Merlinus Ambrosius, Myrrddin Embrys, Myrddin Embreis: Madman, Ambrosius
Myrddin Emrys (Merlin, Merlinus Ambrosius, Myrrddin Embrys, Myrddin Embreis) is a Cymric (Welsh) Arthurian hero first named by Giraldus Cambrensis in his Itinerarium Cambriae and occurs due to Geoffrey of Monmouth's subsitution of Merlin for Amborsius Aurelianus in his Historia Regum Brittonum.

Synonyms: Merlin, Merlinus Ambrosius, Myrrddin Embrys, Myrddin Embreis
Cym, Goi: Madman, Ambrosius
Myrddin Emrys is first named by Giraldus Cambrensis in his Itinerarium Cambriae where he makes a distinction between two Myrddins: Merlinus Ambrosius (Myrddin Emrys) and Merlinus Celidonius who is also known as Merlinus Sylvester (Myrddin Wyllt). This was an attempt at reconciling the Merlin of Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Brittonum with the Myrddin Wyllt of Cymric tradition. Tough the early Cymric bards (eg Rhys Goch Fychan) also made a distinction between Myrddin ap Morfryn and Myrddin Emrys.

The confusion stems from the substitution of Merlin in Geoffrey's Historia Regum Brittonum for Nennius' Ambrosius Aurelianus in the context of the folk-tale of the Dragons of Dinas Emrys. A further conflation, both with Nennius' Ambrosius Aurelianus fatherless birth and the fatherless birth of Cynderyn (Kenitgerg) as described in the Annales Cambriae is ascribed by Geoffrey to his Merlin. This probably explains why Triad 87 of the Trioedd Ynys Prydein names both Myrddin Emrys and Myrddin fab Morfryn as two of the 'Three Skilful Bards at Arthur's Court' (the other being Taliesin). Obviously this triad is post-Galfridian and shows the influence of Geoffrey of Monmouth both in equating Myrddin with Arthur and in naming and distinguishing between the two Myrddins.

One final allusion to Myrddin Emrys comes from an (unfortunately corrupt) text in the Englynion y Beddau (Stanzas of the Graves) section of Peniarth MS 98B.

Bedd Annap lleian ymnewais fynydd
lluagor llew ymrais
prif ddewin Merddin Embrais
The misfortune of a nun on Mount Newais
impregnated by the lion-strength of a host
Chief wizard, Myrddin Ambrosius
This, of course, is a re-telling of Geoffrey of Monmouth's tale of his Merlin's miraculous conception and birth by a nun though again it is interesting that the point is made that the Myrddin/Merlin referredd to is Myrddin Emrys and not the Myrddin Wyllt of the native tradition.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Goddess Nantosuelta
nantosuelta_by_danbrenus.jpg
nantosuelta_by_danbrenus.jpg (286.22 KiB) Viewed 16795 times

“Nantosuelta” by YvonneVetjens
“Nantosuelta’s themes are health, miracles, providence and abundance. Her symbols are spring water and cornucopia. This Gaulisch Goddess’s name literally translates as ‘of the winding stream’. We can go to Nantosuelta’s cool, clean waters when our body, mind or soul requires refreshment and healing. Additionally, artists often depict Nantosuelta carrying a cornucopia, giving her the symbolism of providence and abundance.
What do you need in your life right now? If it’s love, drink a warm glass of spring water to draw Nantosuelta’s energy and emotional warmth to you. If you need a cooler head, on the other hand, drink the water cold.
On this day in 1858, a young girl had a vision of Mary (a Goddess type) near a grotto in Lourdes, France. According to magical tradition, this is an area where the Goddess was worshiped in ancient times. After the vision, the water became renowned for its miraculous healing qualities, reinforcing the fact that the Goddess is alive and well.
While most of us can’t travel to Lourdes, we can enjoy a healing bath at home. Fill the tub with warm water (Nantosuelta exist in the streaming water), a few bay leaves, a handful of mint and a pinch of thyme (three healthful herbs). Soak in the water and visualize any sickness or disease leaving your body. When you let out the water, the negative energy neatly goes down the drain!”
(Patricia Telesco, “365 Goddess: a daily guide to the magic and inspiration of the goddess”.)
In Celtic mythology, Nantosuelta was a Goddess of nature, the earth, fire, and fertility. The Mediomatrici (Alsace, Lorraine) depicted Her in art as holding a model house or dovecote, on a pole (a bee hive). Nantosuelta is attested by statues, and by inscriptions. She was sometimes paired with Sucellus. Nantosuelta was also the Goddess of Nature in Lusitanian mythology. In addition, Her symbol the raven symbolized Her connection as a Goddess of the dead and fertility – which thus linked Her with the Irish Goddess Morrígan and Her two companions.

Relief of Nantosuelta and Sucellus from Sarrebourg
In one relief, Nantosuelta holds a patera, or a broad ritual dish that was used for drinking during a ritual, and tips the contents of the patera onto an altar. In an English relief, Nantosuelta is shown with apples instead of a patera. Other attributes include a pot or a beehive. [1]

A depiction of Nantosuelta from Speyer, showing her distinctive sceptre and birds. The head of Sol can be seen in the tympanum.
Nantosuelta’s name was reconstructed by linguists and cannot be definitely translated, yet two accepted approximations of its meaning in Proto-Celtic are “She of the Winding River” and “She of the Sun-drenched Valley”, though Her attributes do not show Her as a water-deity (actually, the watery attributes seem more likely to describe the Goddess Icovellauna, ‘Divine Pourer of the Waters’, a Gallic Goddess who was also worshipped in Metz, France).

“Cathedral of Illumination” by Jonathon Earl Bowser
“For a long time the name Nantosuelta was assumed to mean ‘winding river’, being derived from the reconstructed proto-Celtic from *Nanto-swelt- with the feminine ending ā which can be rendered as ‘river-turning [spirit]’. However, in common with the Brythonic languages it is possible that the Gaulish nanto could mean both river/stream and valley (the Cymric cognate being nant that is usually taken to mean ‘stream’ but which, in its older form, also meant ‘valley’. The swel component of the came could be derived from the proto-Celtic *sƒwol-/*s3li- (sun, which yields the Cymric form of haul). The final particle, ta is contained in the proto-Celtic word tတ-je/o (thaw) and bears the connotation of ‘to warm’. Thus, an alternative interpretation for Nantosuelta would be ‘She of the Sun-warmed Valley’. Potentially this could be used in the context of ‘plenty’ but it might also bear the context of the sun-drenched realms of the netherworld. Thus Nantosuelta’s association with the raven might indicate that She had a function as a psychopomp.” [2]
Chief amongst Her associations is Her little house, usually depicted on a long pole like a scepter of some kind. Other associated objects, as previously mentioned, include a bird, a bee-hive and honeycombs. The latter certainly have homely connotations and She therefore appears to have been a Goddess of hearth and home, well-being and prosperity. Like Her husband, She also had nourishment and fertility aspects and sometimes carried a cornucorpia. In Britain, She is probably to be found depicted on a small stone from East Stoke in Nottinghamshire…shown [with] bushy hair and carries a bowlful of apples.[3] More on Nantosuelta’s epigraphy and iconography can be found here.
Variants: (Continental Celtic) Nantsovelta; (Breton Celtic) Nataseuelta
Sources:
Celtnet.org.uk, “Nantosuelta: A Gaulish Goddess (She of the Winding River; She of the Sun-warmed Valley)“.
Earlybritishkingdoms.com, “Nantosuelta, Goddess of the Home“.
Sita. Awitchylife.wordpress.com, “Weekly Deity Nantosuelta“.
Suggested Links:
http://theses.univ-lyon2.fr/documents/g ... art=159118

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Neit

Neit.jpg
Neit.jpg (73.24 KiB) Viewed 16795 times

(Néit, Nét, Neith) was a god of war. He was the husband of Nemain, and sometimes of Badb. Also grandfather of Balor, he was killed at the legendary Second Battle of Moytura. The name probably derives from the proto-Celtic *nei-t-[1] meaning fighting or passion. A similarly named deity appears on two Celtiberian inscriptions,[2] as a Romanized Mars Neto and as Neito.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Nemain.

Nemain.jpg
Nemain.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 16795 times

Neman or Nemain (modern spelling: Neamhan, Neamhain) is the spirit-woman or goddess who personifies the frenzied havoc of war. In the ancient texts where The Morrígan appears as a trio of goddesses, the three sisters who make up the Morrígna,[1][2][3] one of these sisters is sometimes known as NemainIn the grand Irish epic of the Tain Bo Cuailnge, Neman confounds armies, so that friendly bands fall in mutual slaughter. When the forces of Queen Medb arrive at Magh-Tregham, in the present county of Longford, on the way to Cuailnge, Neman appears amongst them:

“Then the Neman attacked them, and that was not the most comfortable night with them, from the uproar of the giant Dubtach through his sleep. The bands were immediately startled, and the army confounded, until Medb went to check the confusion.” Lebor na hUidhre, fol. 46, b1.

And in another passage, in the episode called "Breslech Maighe Muirthemhne,” where a terrible description is given of Cuchullain's fury at seeing the hostile armies of the south and west encamped within the borders of Uladh, we are told (Book of Leinster, fol.54, a2, and b1):Nemain is an Irish goddess whom is very powerful. Nemain can kill 100 men with just one single battle cry.

"He saw from him the ardent sparkling of the bright golden weapons over the heads of the four great provinces of Eriu, before the fall of the cloud of evening. Great fury and indignation seized him on seeing them, at the number of his opponents and at the multitude of his enemies. He seized his two spears, and his shield and his sword, and uttered from his throat a warrior's shout, so that sprites, and satyrs, and maniacs of the valley, and the demons of the air responded, terror-stricken by the shout which he had raised on high. And the Neman confused the army; and the four provinces of Eriu dashed themselves against the points of their own spears and weapons, so that one hundred warriors died of fear and trembling in the middle of the fort and encampment that night."
In Cormac's glossary, Nemain is said to have been the wife of Neit, "the god of battle with the pagan Gaeidhel". A poem in the Book of Leinster (fol. 6, a2), couples Badb and Neman as the wives of Neid or Neit:—

“Neit son of Indu, and his two wives, Badb and Neamin, truly, Were slain in Ailech, without blemish, By Neptur of the Fomorians”.

At folio 5, a2, of the same MS., Fea and Nemain are said to have been Neit’s two wives but in the poem on Ailech printed from the Dinnsenchus in the "Ordinance Memoir of Templemore" (p. 226), Nemain only is mentioned as the wife of Neit. Also, in the Irish books of genealogy, both Fea and Neman are said to have been the two daughters of Elcmar of the Brugh (Newgrange, near the Boyne), who was the son of Delbaeth, son of Ogma, son of Elatan, and the wives of Neid son of Indae. This identical kinship of Fea and Nemain implies that the two are one and the same personality.

She sometimes appears as a bean nighe, the weeping washer by a river, washing the clothes or entrails of a doomed warrior.
The variant forms in which her name appears in Irish texts are Nemon ~ Nemain ~ Neman. These alternations imply that the Proto-Celtic form of this theonym, if such a theonym existed at that stage, would have been *Nemānjā, *Nemani-s or *Nemoni-s.

The meaning of the name has been various glossed. Squire (2000:45) glossed the name as 'venomous' presumably relating it to the Proto-Celtic *nemi- 'dose of poison' 'something which is dealt out' from the Proto-Indo-European root *nem- 'deal out' (Old Irish nem, pl. neimi 'poison' ). However, *nemi- is clearly an i-stem noun whereas the stems of the reconstructed forms *Nemā-njā, *Nema-ni-s and *Nemo-ni-s are clearly a-stem and o-stem nouns respectively.

Equally, the Proto-Celtic *nāmant- 'enemy' (Irish námhaid, genitive namhad 'enemy' from the Old Irish náma, g. námat, pl.n. námait [1]) is too different in form from *Nemānjā, *Nemani-s or *Nemoni-s to be equated with any of them.

The name may plausibly be an extended form of the Proto-Indo-European root of the name is *nem- 'seize, take, deal out' to which is related the Ancient Greek Némesis 'wrath, nemesis' and the name Nemesis, the personification of retributive justice in Greek mythology. Also related to this Proto-Indo-European root is the Old High German nâma 'rapine,' German nehmen, 'take,' English nimble; Zend nemanh 'crime,' Albanian name 'a curse' and the Welsh, Cornish, and Breton nam, 'blame' [2]. According to this theory, the name would mean something like 'the Great Taker' or the 'Great Allotter.' However, it is just as plausible that the name be related to the Proto-Indo-European root *nem- 'bend, twist.' Along these lines, the theonym would mean something like the 'Great Twister' or the 'Great Bender.’

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Niamh

Niamh /ˈniː.ɒf/ is the daughter of Manannán mac Lir. She is one of the Queens of Tir na nÓg, and might also be the daughter of Fand.

Niamh crossed the Western Sea on a magical horse, Embarr, and asked Fionn mac Cumhaill if his son Oisín would come with her to Tír na nÓg (the Land of Youth). Oisín agreed and went with her, promising his father he would return to visit soon.

Oisín was a member of the Fianna and, though he fell in love with Niamh during their time together in Tír na nÓg, he became homesick after what he thought was three years. Niamh let him borrow Embarr, who could run above ground, and made him promise not to get off of the horse or touch Irish soil.

The three years he spent in Tír na nÓg turned out to be 300 Irish years. When Oisín returned to Ireland, he asked where he could find Fionn mac Cumhail and the Fianna, only to find that they had been dead for hundreds of years and were now only remembered as legends. Whilst travelling through Ireland, Oisín was asked by some men to help them move a standing stone. He reached down to help them, but fell off his horse. Upon touching the ground he instantly became an old man. He is then said to have dictated his story to Saint Patrick, who cared for and nursed him until he died. Meanwhile, Niamh had given birth to his daughter, Plor na mBan. Niamh returned to Ireland to search for him, but he had died.

The LÉ Niamh (P52), a ship in the Irish Naval Service, is named after her.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Nuada

nuadhu.jpg
nuadhu.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 16795 times

Nuada or Nuadu (modern spelling: Nuadha), known by the epithet Airgetlám (modern spelling: Airgeadlámh, meaning "silver hand/arm"), was the first king of the Tuatha Dé Danann. He is cognate with the Gaulish and British god Nodens. His Welsh equivalent is Nudd or Lludd Llaw Eraint.

Nuada was king of the Tuatha Dé Danann for seven years before they came to Ireland. They made contact with the Fir Bolg, the then-inhabitants of the island, and Nuada sought from them half of the island for the Tuatha Dé, which their king rejected. Both peoples made ready for war, and in an act of chivalry allowed their numbers and arms to be inspected by the opposing side to allow for a truly fair battle. During this first great battle at Mag Tuired, Nuada lost an arm[1] in combat with the Fir Bolg champion Sreng. Nuada's ally, Aengaba of Norway, then fought Sreng, sustaining a mortal wound, while the Dagda protected Nuada. Fifty of the Dagda's soldiers carried Nuada from the field. The Tuatha Dé gained the upper hand in the battle, but Sreng later returned to challenge Nuada to single combat. Nuada accepted, on the condition that Sreng fought with one arm tied up. Sreng refused, but by this point the battle was won and the Fir Bolg all but vanquished. The Tuatha Dé then decided to offer Sreng one quarter of Ireland for his people instead of the one half offered before the battle, and he chose Connacht.[2]

Having lost his arm, Nuada was no longer eligible for kingship due to the Tuatha Dé tradition that their king must be physically perfect, and he was replaced as king by Bres, a half-Fomorian prince renowned for his beauty and intellect. The Fomorians were mythological enemies of the people of Ireland, often equated with the mythological "opposing force" such as the Greek Titans to the Olympians, and during Bres's reign they imposed great tribute on the Tuatha Dé, who became disgruntled with their new king's oppressive rule and lack of hospitality. By this time Nuada had his lost arm replaced by a working silver one by the physician Dian Cecht and the wright Creidhne (and later with a new arm of flesh and blood by Dian Cecht's son Miach). Bres was removed from the kingship, having ruled for seven years, and Nuada was restored. He ruled for twenty more years.[3]

Bres, aided by the Fomorian Balor of the Evil Eye, attempted to retake the kingship by force, and war and continued oppression followed. When the youthful and vigorous Lugh joined Nuada's court, the king realised the multi-talented youth could lead the Tuatha Dé against the Fomorians, and stood down in his favour. The second Battle of Mag Tuired followed. Nuada was killed and beheaded in battle by Balor, but Lugh avenged him by killing Balor and led the Tuatha Dé to victory.[4]

Nuada's great sword was one of the Four Treasures of the Tuatha Dé Danann, brought from one of their four great cities.[5]

Legacy[edit]
Nuada may be the same figure as Elcmar, and possibly Nechtan.[6] Other characters of the same name include the later High Kings Nuadu Finn Fáil and Nuadu Necht, and Nuada, the maternal grandfather of Fionn mac Cumhaill. A rival to Conn of the Hundred Battles was Mug Nuadat ("Nuada's Slave"). The Delbhna, a people of early Ireland, had a branch called the Delbhna Nuadat who lived in County Roscommon. The present day town of Maynooth in County Kildare is named after Nuada (its Irish name is Maigh Nuad, meaning The plain of Nuada).

Nuada's name is cognate with that of Nodens, a Romano-British deity associated with the sea and healing who was equated with the Roman Mars, and with Nudd, a Welsh mythological figure. It is likely that another Welsh figure, Lludd Llaw Eraint (Lludd of the Silver Hand), derives from Nudd Llaw Eraint by alliterative assimilation.[7] (The Norse god Týr is another deity equated with Mars who lost a hand).[8]

The name Nuada probably derives from a Celtic stem *noudont- or *noudent-, which J. R. R. Tolkien suggested was related to a Germanic root meaning "acquire, have the use of", earlier "to catch, entrap (as a hunter)". Making the connection with Nuada and Lludd's hand, he detected "an echo of the ancient fame of the magic hand of Nodens the Catcher".[9] Similarly, Julius Pokorny derives the name from a Proto-Indo-European root *neu-d- meaning "acquire, utilise, go fishing"

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Ogma
Ogma.jpg
Ogma.jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 16794 times

Ogma (modern spelling: Oghma) is a character from Irish mythology and Scottish mythology. A member of the Tuatha Dé Danann, he is often considered a deity and may be related to the Gallic god Ogmios.

He fights in the first battle of Mag Tuired, when the Tuatha Dé take Ireland from the Fir Bolg.[1] Under the reign of Bres, when the Tuatha Dé are reduced to servitude, Ogma is forced to carry firewood, but nonetheless is the only one of the Tuatha Dé who proves his athletic and martial prowess in contests before the king. When Bres is overthrown and Nuadu restored, Ogma is his champion. His position is threatened by the arrival of Lugh at the court, so Ogma challenges him by lifting a great flagstone, which normally required eighty oxen to move it, and hurling it out of Tara, but Lugh answers the challenge by hurling it back. When Nuadu hands command of the Battle of Mag Tuired to Lugh, Ogma becomes Lugh's champion, and promises to repel the Fomorian king, Indech, and his bodyguard, and to defeat a third of the enemy. During the battle he finds Orna, the sword of the Fomorian king Tethra, which recounts the deeds done with it when unsheathed. During the battle Ogma and Indech fall in single combat, although there is some confusion in the texts as in Cath Maige Tuired Ogma, Lugh and the Dagda pursue the Fomorians after the battle to recover the harp of Uaitne, the Dagda's harper.[2]

He often appears as a triad with Lugh and the Dagda (The Dagda is his brother and Lugh is his half-brother), who are sometimes collectively known as the trí dée dána or three gods of skill,[3] although that designation is elsewhere applied to other groups of characters. His father is Elatha and his mother is usually given as Ethliu,[4] sometimes as Étaín.[5] His sons include Delbaeth[6] and Tuireann.[7] He is said to have invented the Ogham alphabet, which is named after him.[8]

Scholars of Celtic mythology have proposed that Ogma represents the vestiges of an ancient Celtic god. By virtue of his battle prowess and invention of Ogham, he is compared with Ogmios, a Gaulish deity associated with eloquence and equated with Herakles. J. A. MacCulloch compares Ogma's epithet grianainech (sun-face) with Lucian's description of the "smiling face" of Ogmios, and suggests Ogma's position as champion of the Tuatha Dé Danann may derive "from the primitive custom of rousing the warriors' emotions by eloquent speeches before a battle",[9] although this is hardly supported by the texts. Scholars such Rudolf Thurneysen and Anton van Hamel dispute any link between Ogma and Ogmios.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Goddess Olwen
Goddess Olwen.jpg
Goddess Olwen.jpg (25.9 KiB) Viewed 16793 times

Olwen’s themes are the arts, creativity, excellence and the sun. Her symbols are late-blooming flowers, red and gold items and rings. A Welsh sun Goddess whose name means ‘golden wheel’, Olwen overcame thirteen obstacles to obtain Her true love (symbolic of thirteen lunar months) and She teaches us similar tenacity in obtaining our goals. Art portrays this Goddess as having a red-gold collar, golden rings and sun-colored hair that shines with pre-autumn splendor on today’s celebrations.
Announced thireen months in advance, the celebration of Eisteddfod preserves Welsh music and literature amid the dramatic backdrop of sacred stone circles. The Eisteddfod dates back to Druid times; it was originally an event that evaluated those wishing to obtain bardic status. Follow these hopeful bards’ example and wear something green today to indicate your desire to grow beneath Olwen’s warm light. Or, don something red or gold to generate the Goddess’s energy for excellence in any task.
You can make an Olwen creativity charm out of thireen different flower petals. It is best to collect thirteen different ones, but any thirteen will do along with a red- or gold-colored cloth. Fold the cloth over the petals inward three times for body, mind and spirit saying with each fold,
‘Insight begin, bless me, Olwen.’
Carry this with you, releasing one petal whenever you want a little extra inspiration.”

“Danu of the Celts” by Dean Morrissey
Patricia Monaghan has this to say about Olwen: “The Welsh sun Goddess’ name may mean ‘leaving white footprints’ or ‘golden wheel’. She was the opposite of the ‘silver-wheeled’ moon Goddess Arianrhod. Olwen [pronounced O-loon] was mentioned in early Arthurian legend as a princess who, attired in many rings and a collar of red gold, married a man named Culhwch [pron. kil-hooch], despite the knowledge that this marriage would kill Her father.

The father, [Ysbaddaden] whose name translates as the ‘giant hawthorn tree,’ tried to prevent the consummation of Her love for Culhwch by placing thirteen obstacles – possibly the thirteen lunar months of the solar year – in Her path, but Olwen survived the tests by providing the thirteen necessary dowries.
That Olwen was specifically the summer sun seems clear from descriptions Her: She had streaming yellow hair, anemone fingers, and rosy cheeks; from every footstep trefoil sprang up. The ‘white lady of the day,’ She was called, the flower-bringing ‘golden wheel’ of summer” (p. 238 – 239).

Sources:
Joellessacredgrove.com, “Celtic Gods and Goddesses – Olwen“.
Monaghan, Patricia. The New Book of Goddesses and Heroines, “Olwen”.

Suggested Links:
Blueroebuck.com, “Olwen“.
Brookroad.org.uk, “CULHWCK AND OLWEN or the TWRCH TRWYTH“.
Celtnet.org.uk/celtic/ , “Olwen – A Cymric Goddess: White Track, Fair“.
Dames, Michael. Second-congress-matriarchal-studies.com, “Footsteps of the Goddess in Britain and Ireland“.
Goddess-guide.com, “Spring Goddesses“.
Goddess-guide.com, “Sun Goddesses“.
Timelessmyths.com, “Culhwch and Olwen“.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Pwyll
Pwyll.jpg
Pwyll.jpg (5.74 KiB) Viewed 16792 times

Pwyll
A Cymric Hero/God (Wisdom, Reason)
Pwyll is a Cymric (Welsh) God/Hero of the Mabinogi, who is the eponymous hero of the tale of Pwyll Pendefig Dyfed which is the tale of Pwyll gaining a wife and losing and re-discovering a son.
Synonyms:
Cym: Wisdom, Reason
Pwyll is the eponymous hero of the first branch of the Mabinogi, the Mabinogi of Pwyll Pendefig Dyfed; a tale that revolves around his friendship with the ruler of the nether-realm, his finding and gaining a wife, the birth, loss and re-discovery of his son. Pwyll's story, as told in the Mabinogi can be summmarized as follows:

Pwyll, Pendefig Dyfed, was lord of the seven cantrefs of Dyfed and he dwelt in his chief court of Arberth and his regular practise was to go hunting in Glyn Cuch. One morning, as he set his dogs to the hunt he sounded his horn and began the hunt. Soon he had lost his companions, but he heard the barking of hounds other than his own. Coming to a glade he saw the hounds, beast with shining-white coats and blood-red ears, as they took down the stag. Chasing these dogs away he set his own hounds on the stag. But as he was doing this he saw a horseman approach upon a light-grey steed. The rider berates Pwyll for his discourtesy in setting his own hounds to a stag that had already been brought down. Pwyll offers to redeem himself of the stranger's friendship. The man tells Pwyll that he is Arawn from the realm of Annwfn and that once he was a king in his own realm. But there is a man in Annwfn, Hafgan, himself a king of Annwfn though but his lands are opposed to Arawn's and they are forever warring. Pwyll agrees to rid Arawn of his enemy. Arawn gives Pwyll his own semblance and sends him to Annwfn in his stead. Exactly a year hence Arawn and Hafgan were destined to do battle at the Ford. Arawn explains that with a single blow he could kill Hafgan. But were he to give him a second blow then Hafgan would revive and continue to fight on the second day as well as he did on the first. Thus Pwyll takes Arawn's form and Arawn assumes Pwyll's that they may enter each other's kingdom. Pwyll lives with Arawn's wife, in the guise of Arawn himself. And though they take meat together and engage in the usual pleasantries when it comes to sharing a bed they lie back to back.

A year from the day of their first meeting and Pwyll came to the ford that Arawn had described and engaged Hafgan in single combat. So mighty was Pwyll's blow that it struck the boss of Hafgan's shield, cleaving it in two. The sword drove through his armour and bore Hafgan to the ground a full spear's length from his steed's crupper. Hafgan is mortally wounded and implores Pwyll (who is in the guise of Arawn) to properly dispose of him, but Pwyll refuses. Hafgan has his nobles bear him away and declares Pwyll the sole lord of Annwfn. Thus he received the homage of Hafgan's men and conquered his domains, uniting the two lands as one. Thus did Arawn recover his position as the lord of all Annwfn and because of this and the way that Pwyll had respected his wife, from that day forward was Pwyll Leader of Dyfed known as Pwyll Head of Annwfn. Arawn also gifts Pwyll with a herd of swine from Annwfn.

After a feast, Pwyll decides to go to the Gorsedd or Arberth where a man cannot sit without 'either receiving wounds of blows or seeing a wonder'. So they made their way to the Gorsedd mound and Pwyll sat upon it and as he sat he saw a lady clothed in a robe of shining gold and mounted on a pure-white steed of great size coming along the roadway that wound its way past the mound. Pwyll asks one of his men to go and meet her. This man walked towards her but she passed him by and he ran to catch-up but though the horse seemed to move at a steady pace, the faster he ran the further away the horse seemed to be. Pwyll commands another of his men to go to the palace and return with the fleetest horse in the stables. Soon enough the rider had passed the Gorsedd and reached a level plain. There he put spurs to his steed, but the faster he rode the further away the lady and her horse seemed to be. Eventually his steed tired and he had to return to Pwyll. Some illusion is suspected and Pwyll retires to his Llys. The following day he returns to the Gorsedd but this time with a fleet horse at the ready. Again he sends a youth after the lady, but he can not catch her. The following day, Pwyll returns to the mound but this time takes his own steed. As soon as the maiden appears he gives chase, but cannot catch her any more than his men. Eventually he calls out to her, imploring her to stay. This she does and eventually tells Pwyll that her true errand was to seek him. She then informs him that she is Rhiannon daughter of Hefydd Hen and that she is to be given to another, but is actually in love with Pwyll. As a result Pwyll promises to meet her a year hence in the palace of Hefydd.

Pwyll, chieftain of Dyfed, meets Rhiannon, his intended, at the llys of Hefydd Hen, her father, for a feast. Here Pwyll is seated at the place of honour between Hefydd and Rhiannon. When the feast has concluded and the entertainments have begun a finely-attired stranger enters the hall. Pwyll, as the guest of honour greets him and asks him to sit, but he declines saying that he has come on an errand to ask of Pwyll a boon.

Pwyll responds with: 'Whatever boon thou may ask of me, if it is in my power to give, then it is yours.' Shocked, Rhiannon enquires of him: 'why did you give that answer?'

'Has he not given in the presence of all these assembled nobles?' the stranger enquired of them.

Finally Pwyll enquires as to what precisely the stranger required as a boon.

'The lady whom best I love is to be thy bride this night,' responded the stranger, 'I came to ask her of thee.' Whereupon Pwyll fell silent as the full realization of what he had done struck him.

'Be silent as long as you wish,' Rhiannon admonished him, 'never has a man made worse use of his wits than you.'

'Lady,' responded Pwyll, 'I knew not who he was...'

'Behold,' replied Rhiannon, 'this is the man to whom they wold have given me against my will. He is Gwawl mab Clud, a man of great power and wealth and because of thy words thou must bestow me upon him lest shame befall thee.'

'Lady,' replied Pwyll, 'never can I do as thou suggest.'

'Bestow me upon him,' Rhiannon insists, 'and I will ensure that I shall never be his.'

Pwyll enquires as to how this can be and Rhiannon tells him that she will give him a small bag which Pwyll must keep safe. Rhiannon will prepare the wedding feast and she will agree to become Gwawl's bride one full year from the current day. On that day Pwyll must return to Hefydd's llys with a hundred of his best men. But Pwyll himself must appear in the guise of a vagabond and at the feast he should ask for no more than a bagful of food. Rhiannon is to enchant the bag so that, no matter how much food is placed in it, it will never become full. Eventually Gwawl is sure to ask as to whether the bag will ever become full. Whereupon Pwyll is to respond that it never shall until a man of noble birth and great wealth presses the food into the bag with both his feet. At this point Pwyll is to entirely cover Gwawl in the bag and drawing out his hunting horn he is to summon his men to him.

At this point Gwawl enquires as to Pwyll's response to his request. 'As much as that thou has asked is in my power to give.' replies Pwyll, 'then thou shalt have it.'

Rhiannon then tells Gwawl that the feast prepared this night is for the men of Dyfed alone, but a year hence a new feast would be prepared and on that night she would become Gwawl's bride. She gives Pwyll the promised bag and all parties depart, to return a year hence.

A year hence Gwawl returns to claim his bride. Pwyll also returns with a hundred of his best men who are concealed in the orchard without the llys. Then, when the feast is done and the sound of carousing can be heard Pwyll makes his way towards the llys. Pwyll asks for his boon of food and a great number of attendants attempt to fill his bag. But the bag never seems to fill and Gwawl asks Pwyll how it may be filled.

'It may not,' responds Pwyll, 'until one possessed of lands, domains and treasure shall rise and tread down with both his feet the food that is in the bag.' Rhiannon urges Gwawl to do what Pwyll has requested and as Gwawl puts his feet in the bag Pwyll lifts the bag's sides until it reaches over Gwawl's head. He shut the mouth of the bag, securing it with a knot before blowing his horn to call down his men. Immediately Gwawl's host are imprisoned and as Pwyll's men pass the bag they each strike it a blow and ask: 'What is in there?' To which the response was: 'A badger.' This way each knight struck the bag with his foot or a staff and by this means was the game of 'badger in the bag' first played.

Gwawl implores Pwyll that he should not suffer the indignity of being slain in a bag. Hefydd Hen takes Gwawl's side in this and asks that Pwyll should listen to Gwawl. Rhiannon counsels Pwyll that as he is now in a position where it behoves him to satisfy suitors and minstrels (ie he is to wed Rhiannon) he should use Gwawl's gifts to do this and then he should take pledge from Gwawl that he will not seek revenge for that which has been done to him. This would be punishment enough. Gwawl readily agrees and is released upon certain sureties. These were demanded and Gwawl acquiesced, though he pleads his injuries, saying that they needed anointing. Pwyll allows him to leave, as long as his liege-men stand surety for him.

The next day Pwyll and Rhiannon return to Dyfed where gifts are bestowed on the nobles and the couple rule harmoniously for two years. Upon the third year the nobles of the realm grow sad that Pwyll has no heir so they attempt to persuade him to take another wife. Pwyll urges them to grant him a year and if he is still childless he will take another wife. However, within the space of that year Rhiannon gives birth to a boy. Upon the night of his birth, women were brought in to look after mother and son, but they fall asleep and when they awoke the boy was gone. Fearing for their lives they fetch some cubs from a stag-hound bitch kill them and smear the blood on the bedclothes and on Rhiannon's face and hands. When Rhiannon awakes they accuse her of killing and devouring her own sons and though she protests her innocence. The tale spread through the land and the nobles besought Pwyll to put her wife away. But he would not do this and instead says that if his wife had done wrong then she should do penance for her wrong. In the end Rhiannon preferred to do penance rather than contend with the women. And her penance was that for seven years she would remain in the llys of Arberth and each day she would sit near the horse-block at the llys' gate and she would have to relate her tale to each passer by and offer to carry them upon her back into the llys.

Rhiannon's child was captured by a creature who on the night of the first of May stole a foal from the stables of Teyrnon Twrf Gwliant. This year Teyrnon save his foal and at the same time he sees an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes. This child he takes as his own and has him baptized as Gwri Wallt Eurun. At this time Teyrnon heard tidings of what had befallen Rhiannon and feeling sorry for her he enquired more deeply into her story. Which is when Teyrnon looked closely at Gwri and for the first time saw the semblance between the child and Pwyll Pen Annwfn. Determined to right the wrong he had done Teyrnon takes the boy and journeys to Pwyll's Llys. They both refuse Rhiannon's offer of carrying them into the Llys and at the feast that night Teyrnon relates his tale and presents Rhiannon with her son. Pwyll enquires of the boy's name and Rhiannon re-names him Pryderi for all the worry that he had caused her. And thus the child was returned to Pwyll Pen Annwfn. Pryderi was reared as was fit for a boy of his birthright and he became the fairest, the most comely and the best-skilled in all manly games of any youth. Thus did the years pass until the end of Pwyll's life came and Pryderi became ruler in his stead.

Apart from the Mabinogi, Pwyll is known from only two other sources: Triad 26 of the Trioedd Ynys Prydein which names Pryderi mab Pwyll Pen Annwfn as one of the 'Three Powerful Swineherds of the Island of Britain' for guarding the magical swine of Annwfn in Glyn Cuch in Emlyn. He is also known from a single mention in the poem known as Preiddeu Annwfn (the Spoils of Annwfn) from the Llyfr Taliesin. This fragment of the poem alludes to an enmity between Pwyll and Pryderi and a certain Gweir mab Gwystyl:

bu kyweir karchar gweir yg kaer sidi.
trwy ebostol pwyll a phryderi.
Neb kyn noc ef nyt aeth idi.
yr gadwyn trom las kywirwas ae ketwi.
A rac preidu annwfyn tost yt geni.
Ac yt urawt parahawt yn bardwedi.

All-encompassing was the prison of Gweir in Caer Siddi
Through the tales of Pwyll and Pryderi
None before him entered it
that heavy blue chain holding the fair youth
Before the spoils of Annwfn he woefully sings
Until doom shall he sing his prayer.

In this reference, Caer Siddi is the Cymric form of the Irish sídh, the subterranean realm of the gods, and is used as a synonym for the realm of Annwfn. Thus Gweir's imprisonment seems due to the 'tales' of Pwyll and Pryderi (this may mean lies Gweir told about them) and possibly points to a lost tale concerning these three characters. This makes sense in that Arawn the lord of Annwfn is a protagonist in the Mabinogi of Pwyll and Pryderi. For whatever slight he offered them Pwyll and Pryderi may have persuaded Arawn to imprison Gweir for all eternity.

Pwyll's name originates from the equivalent Cymric noun and means 'wisdom, reason' and is ultimately derived from the reconstructed proto-Celtic *kwŒslƒ (mind, spirit, reason) which is also the root of the equivalent Gaulish personal name, Pěllus. Pwyll's epithet of Pendaran Dyfed is of note as well, especially as Pendaran can be interpreted in several ways. The obvious derivation is from pen (chief) and taran (thunder), giving us 'chief thunderer' and epithet that would link Pwyll with the god Taranis. Alternatively taran could be derived form derwen (oak tree), however, an older derivation might be from an Old Cymric word daran (large, huge) so that Pendaran literally becomes 'Huge Head'; though as pen also means 'leader,chief', as in pendefig and Penn Annwfn in the same tale, the most likely rendering is 'Great Chief'. Thus Pwyll is the 'Great Chief' of Dyfed.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 8:54 pm

Scathach

Scathach-Celtic-Goddess.jpeg
Scathach-Celtic-Goddess.jpeg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 16792 times

Scáthach, or Sgathaich, is a figure in the Ulster Cycle of Irish mythology. She is a legendary Scottish warrior woman and martial arts teacher who trains the legendary Ulster hero Cú Chulainn in the arts of combat. Texts describe her homeland as Scotland (Alpae); she is especially associated with the Isle of Skye, where her residence Dún Scáith, or "Dun Sgathaich" (Fortress of Shadows), stands.She is called "the Shadow" and "Warrior Maid" and is the rival and sister of Aífe, both daughters of Árd-Greimne of Lethra.

Scáthach's instruction of the young hero Cú Chulainn notably appears in Tochmarc Emire (The Wooing of Emer), an early Irish foretale to the great epic Táin Bó Cúailnge. Here, Cú Chulainn is honour-bound to perform a number of tasks before he is found worthy to marry his beloved Emer, daughter of the chieftain Forgall Monach. The tale survives in two recensions: a short version written mainly in Old Irish and a later, expanded version of the Middle Irish period. In both recensions, Cú Chulainn is sent to Alpae, a term literally meaning "the Alps", but apparently used here to refer to Scotland (otherwise Albu in Irish).[4] Cú Chulainn is sent there with Lóegaire and Conchobor, and in the later version also with Conall Cernach, to receive training from the warrior Domnall (whose hideous daughter falls in love with the hero and when refused, promises revenge). After some time, Domnall assigns them to the care of Scáthach for further training.[5]

Cú Chulainn and his companion Ferdiad travel to Dún Scáith, where Scáthach teaches them feats of arms, and gives Cú Chulainn her deadly spear, the Gáe Bulg. Cú Chulainn begins an affair with Scáthach's daughter Uathach, but accidentally breaks her fingers.[6] She screams, calling her lover Cochar Croibhe to the room. Despite Uathach's protests, he challenges Cú Chulainn to a duel, and Cú Chulainn dispatches him easily. To make it up to Uathach and Scáthach, Cú Chulainn assumes Cochar's duties, and becomes Uathach's lover. Scáthach eventually promises her daughter to him, without requiring the traditional bride price. Scáthach also grants Cú Chulainn the "friendship of her thighs" when his training is almost complete. When her rival, the warrior woman Aífe (Aoife is the modern Irish spelling), threatens her territory, Cú Chulainn defeats her in battle and forces her to make peace. Aífe also sleeps with Cú Chulainn, producing his son Connla, whom Cú Chulainn kills years later - realizing their relation too late.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Rhiannon

Rhiannon.jpg
Rhiannon.jpg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 16791 times

Rhiannon is a classic figure in Celtic or Welsh Literature, Welsh mythology or British mythology. She appears prominently in the Mabinogi. This is the chief prose literature of mediaeval Wales, compiled c.1100 from earlier oral traditions. It is culturally prominent in Welsh circles today, as well as popular in worldwide English translations. (The Mabinogi has also been known as the Mabinogion based on a probable scribal error and its interpretation in modern translation.)
Rhiannon features prominently in these earliest British prose texts which survive in two distinct mediaeval manuscripts,] but are retold today in countless publications as well as plays, film, storytelling and other arts.

Rhiannon's original story is mainly in the First Branch of the Mabinogi, with more following in the Third Branch. She is a strongminded Otherworld woman, who chooses Pwyll, prince of Dyfed as her consort, in preference to another man to whom she has already been betrothed. Their son is the hero Pryderi, who inherits the lordship of Dyfed. Rhiannon as a widow marries Manawydan of the British royal family, and has further adventures.

Like some other figures of Welsh literary tradition, Rhiannon may be a reflex of an earlier Celtic deity. Her name appears to derive from the reconstructed earlier Brittonic form Rigantona, as both their names mean Divine Queen. In the First Branch Rhiannon is strongly associated with horses, and so is her son Pryderi. She is often considered to be related to the Gaulish horse goddess Epona.[3][4] The resemblance is both in her horse affinity, and her son's, including mare and foals; and also a particular way of sitting on a horse in a calm, static way, which is like many images of Epona.[5] While it is the view of many scholars of Celtic Studies that the source of Rhiannon's identity is to be found in a Brythonic deity, Ronald Hutton, from the point of view of a general historian, thinks we should be skeptical

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Rosmerta was a goddess of fertility and abundance, her attributes being those of plenty such as the cornucopia. Rosmerta is attested by statues, and by inscriptions. In Gaul she was often depicted with the Roman god Mercury as her consort, but is sometimes found independently.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Sequana

Sequana was the goddess of the river Seine.jpg
Sequana was the goddess of the river Seine.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 16791 times

Sequana was the goddess of the river Seine, particularly the springs at the source of the Seine, and the Gaulish tribe the Sequani. The springs, called the Fontes Sequanae ("The Springs of Sequana") are located in a valley in the Châtillon Plateau, to the north-west of Dijon in Burgundy, and it was here, in the 2nd or 1st century BC, that a healing shrine was established. The sanctuary was later taken over the by Romans, who built two temples, a colonnaded precinct and other related structures centred on the spring and pool. Many dedications were made to Sequana at her temple, including a large pot inscribed with her name and filled with bronze and silver models of parts of human bodies to be cured by her. Wooden and stone images of limbs, internal organs, heads, and complete bodies were offered to her in the hope of a cure, as well as numerous coins and items of jewellery. Respiratory illnesses and eye diseases were common. Pilgrims were frequently depicted as carrying offerings to the goddess, including money, fruit, or a favorite pet dog or bird.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Shannon

Shannon.jpg
Shannon.jpg (8.27 KiB) Viewed 16791 times

Shannon ("wise river") is an Irish unisex name, Anglicised from Sionainn. Alternative spellings include Shannen, Shanon, Shannan, Seanan, and Siannon. The variant Shanna is an Anglicisation of Sionna ("possessor of wisdom").

Sionainn is an Irish portmanteau of sion (wise) and abhainn (river).[1] This is the Irish name for the River Shannon. Because the suffix ain indicates a diminutive in Irish, the name is sometimes mistranslated as "little wise one".

The name Sionainn alludes to Sionna, a goddess in Irish mythology whose name means "possessor of wisdom". She is the namesake and matron of Sionainn, the River Shannon. Sionainn is the longest river in the British Isles.[2]

Sionainn is one of seven rivers of knowledge said to flow from Connla's Well, the well of wisdom in the Celtic Otherworld (the realm of the dead). Nine sacred hazel (or, by some accounts, rowan[3]) trees grow near the well, and drop their bright red fruit in it and on the ground.[4] In the well live the Salmon of Knowledge, whose wisdom comes from eating this fruit. By eating the fruit or one of the salmon, one can share in this wisdom.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 pm

Smertrios or Smertrius was a god of war worshipped in Gaul and Noricum.[1] In Roman times he was equated with Mars. His name contains the same root as that of the goddess Rosmerta and may mean "The Purveyor" or "The Provider", a title rather than a true name. Smertulitanus may be a variant name for the same god.

Smertrius is one of the Gaulish gods depicted on the Pillar of the Boatmen, discovered in Paris. Here is depicted as a well-muscled bearded man confronting a snake which rears up in front of him. The god brandishes an object which has usually been interpreted as a club but which rather resembles a torch or firebrand.

The normal interpretation of the god's attribute as a club has led to the identification, by modern scholars, of Smertrius and Hercules. Other evidence links Smertrius with the Celtic version of Mars: at Mohn near Trier, a spring sanctuary was dedicated to Mars Smertrius and his consort Ancamna. Coins found here indicate that there was a shrine here before the Roman period. Another Treveran inscription links Mars and Smertrius. Smertrius himself is known outside Gaul, for example on a fragmentary inscription at Grossbach in Austria.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Sucellus
Sucellus.jpg
Sucellus.jpg (88.39 KiB) Viewed 16789 times

Sucellus or Sucellos was a god depicted in Gallo-Roman art as carrying a hammer or mallet and also a bowl or barrel. He has been associated with agriculture or wine production.
This statue of Sucellus is the earliest known likeness of the god (ca. 1st ct. AD). It is from a Roman home in France and was found in a household shrine (lararium). Walters Art Museum, Baltimore.
He is usually portrayed as a middle-aged bearded man, with a long-handled hammer, or perhaps a beer barrel suspended from a pole. His wife, Nantosuelta, is sometimes depicted alongside him. When together, they are accompanied by symbols associated with prosperity and domesticity.
Relief of Nantosuelta and Sucellus from Sarrebourg
In this relief from Sarrebourg, near Metz, Nantosuelta, wearing a long gown, is standing to the left. In her left hand she holds a small house-shaped object with two circular holes and a peaked roof – perhaps a dovecote – on a long pole. Her right hand holds a patera which she is tipping onto a cylindrical altar.

To the right Sucellus stands, bearded, in a tunic with a cloak over his right shoulder. He holds his mallet in his right hand and an olla in his left. Above the figures is a dedicatory inscription and below them in very low relief is a bird, of a raven. This sculpture was dated by Reinach (1922, pp. 217–232), from the form of the letters, to the end of the first century or start of the second century.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Taliesin
taliesin.jpg
taliesin.jpg (92.07 KiB) Viewed 16788 times

Taliesin (fl. 6th century; (/ˌtæliˈɛsɨn/; Welsh pronunciation: [talˈjɛsɪn]) was an early Brythonic poet of Sub-Roman Britain whose work has possibly survived in a Middle Welsh manuscript, the Book of Taliesin. Taliesin was a renowned bard who is believed to have sung at the courts of at least three Brythonic kings.

A maximum of eleven of the preserved poems have been dated to as early as the 6th century, and were ascribed to the historical Taliesin.[1] The bulk of this work praises King Urien of Rheged and his son Owain mab Urien, although several of the poems indicate that he also served as the court bard to King Brochfael Ysgithrog of Powys and his successor Cynan Garwyn, either before or during his time at Urien's court. Some of the events to which the poems refer, such as the Battle of Arfderydd (c. 583), are referred to in other sources.

His name, spelled as Taliessin in Alfred, Lord Tennyson's Idylls of the King and in some subsequent works, means "shining brow" in Middle Welsh.[2] In legend and medieval Welsh poetry, he is often referred to as Taliesin Ben Beirdd ("Taliesin, Chief of Bards" or chief of poets). He is mentioned as one of the five British poets of renown, along with Talhaearn Tad Awen ("Talhaearn Father of the Muse"), Aneirin, Blwchfardd, and Cian Gwenith Gwawd ("Cian Wheat of Song"), in the Historia Brittonum, and is also mentioned in the collection of poems known as Y Gododdin. Taliesin was highly regarded in the mid-12th century as the supposed author of a great number of romantic legends.[2]

According to legend Taliesin was adopted as a child by Elffin, the son of Gwyddno Garanhir, and prophesied the death of Maelgwn Gwynedd from the Yellow Plague. In later stories he became a mythic hero, companion of Bran the Blessed and King Arthur. His legendary biography is found in several late renderings (see below), the earliest surviving narrative being found in a manuscript chronicle of world history written by Elis Gruffydd in the 16th century.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Taranis
Taranis.jpg
Taranis.jpg (13.93 KiB) Viewed 16788 times

Taranis was the god of thunder worshipped essentially in Gaul, Gallaecia, Britain and Ireland, but also in the Rhineland and Danube regions, amongst others. Taranis, along with Esus and Toutatis as part of a sacred triad, was mentioned by the Roman poet Lucan in his epic poem Pharsalia as a Celtic deity to whom human sacrificial offerings were made.[1] Taranis was associated, as was the cyclops Brontes ("thunder") in Greek mythology, with the wheel.

Gundestrup cauldron, created between 200 BC and 300 AD, is thought to have a depiction of Taranis on the inner wall of cauldron on tile C
Many representations of a bearded god with a thunderbolt in one hand and a wheel in the other have been recovered from Gaul, where this deity apparently came to be syncretised with Jupiter.[2]

The name as recorded by Lucan is unattested epigraphically, but variants of the name include the forms Tanarus, Taranucno-, Taranuo-, and Taraino-.[3][4] The name is continued in Irish as Tuireann[citation needed], and is likely connected with those of Germanic (Norse Thor, Anglo-Saxon Þunor, German Donar) and Sami (Horagalles) gods of thunder. Taranis is likely associated with the Gallic Ambisagrus (likely from Proto-Celtic *ambi-sagros = "about-strength"), and in the interpretatio romana with Jupiter.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Tephi

the autobiography of Teia Tephi, the queen of Ireland who lived and ruled in the sixth century B.C. The book contains detailed information about the fall of Jerusalem in c. 588 B.C. and Teia Tephi's subsequent journey to Ireland with Jeremiah the Bible Prophet in 583 B.C.

The Book of Tephi describes in detail the journey Jeremiah took with Teia Tephi from Jerusalem to Ireland, via Tanis in Egypt then on to Gibraltar, Breogan in Spain; Cornwall and eventually landing at Howth on the 18th June 583 B.C. Tephi was escorted to Ireland from Cornwall by Bressail mac Elatha, the son of the ruler of Cornwall, who had been living in Ireland and was the champion of Nuadh of the Silver Hand, king of Ulster.

Teia Tephi was then taken to the Hill of Tara where she married Eochaidh, the Ard ri (high king) of Ireland and was crowned queen of Ireland upon the Lia Fail (Jacob's Pillar / Stone of Destiny) that she brought with her from Jerusalem. She then began re-introducing The Laws that were given by The Ruler of The Universe (God) through His Prophet Moses to the People Israel, of whom the Irish are decended from Dan (Tuatha de Danaan - tribe of Dan [Gen. 30:6]) and the Zarah (of the Red Hand) branch of the tribe of Judah [Gen. 38:27-30].

At that point a number of kings and warlords in the already divided and war-torn country of Ireland rebelled against Tephi, because under The Real Law of The Torah, that she brought, they would have to give back all the wealth that they had un-fairly stolen from the people under their own laws and taxes that they had made up. A huge battle then transpired, known as the Battle of Unna (Destruction), where all of the rebel kings and lords and their armies led by Bressail the son of Elatha of Cornwall, fought against Teia Tephi and her army. As Teia Tephi was fighting for God and His Laws, her army defeated all of the rebels in the battle which was held near Slane.

There was a total of six thousand six hundred and sixty-eight people killed in the Battle of Unna. Five thousand and sixty three of which were on Bressail's side including forty two kings from various regions of Ireland, and the rest of the British Isles. From Teia Tephi's army, only sixteen hundred and five were killed, those of rank from both sides that fell at the battle were buried at Knowth and those of lower rank were buried in the many satellite graves around Knowth and through-out the Boyne Valley.

Bressail, the leader of the rebels, wasn't killed in the battle and was sent out to help clear the sea of Fomorians (pirates). The people never forgot his meanness and arrogance and when he died he was buried in a tomb that was made to face the setting sun rather than the sunrise and his grave was named Dowth which is derived from the old Gaelic word, Dubad which means darkness.

Peace was then brought to Ireland (all of it) for the first time as Teia Tephi re-instituted God's Perfect Laws of The Torah, that are contained in The first five Books of The Bible and in The Ark of The Covenant. She ruled over all of Ireland from the Hill of Tara but lived in a palace that she had built in Teltown, Kells.

Teia Tephi had four children. Her oldest son, Aedh died in his teens and was buried in The Mound of The Hostages at Tara. Her second born was a girl named Ainge and her third was Aengus who became king of Ireland after his parents' death. Aengus was very arrogant and had the grandest tomb in Europe constructed for himself and was buried there at Newgrange.

Jeremiah the Prophet, who brought Teia Tephi to Ireland died on the 21st. of September in 581 B.C. and was buried in Cairn T at Loughcrew. Hieroglyphics on a stone in the Cairn depict the journey they made from Jerusalem to Ireland and gives astronomical calculations to give the dates when the Battle of Unna was held and when Jeremiah died. The tomb is built in alignment with the Autumn Equinox, which is the same time of year that Jeremiah died. This was done so people would go to the tomb at the time of the Autumn Equinox to remember Jeremiah and watch the Equinox sun-rise penetrate the tomb.

When Teia Tephi died, she was buried in a hidden subterranian tomb under The Mound of The Hostages at The Hill of Tara along with a number of special artifacts including David's Harp, which features as the Irish People's National emblem and The Ark of The Covenant. She left many prophecies in The Book of Tephi of which most have been fulfilled in exact and minute detail. Some of which say that Ireland would forget her and once again be divided and impoverished because the people would go away from God's Laws and let their leaders make up their own. She also said that she would one day be recovered from her tomb and once again unite the Irish people as one nation in peace and prosperity under The Perfect System of Law given in The Torah.

This is the only prophecy given in The Book of Tephi that remains unfulfilled. With the help of the the Irish people, JAH wishes to fulfill this prophecy for the benefit of everyone on the island of Ireland.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Toutatis

Teutates.jpg
Teutates.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 16788 times

Toutatis or Teutates was a Celtic god worshipped in ancient Gaul and Britain. On the basis of his name's etymology, he has been widely interpreted to be a tribal protector.[1] Today, he is best known under the name Toutatis (pronounced [towˈtaːtis] in Gaulish[2]) through the Gaulish oath/catchphrase "By Toutatis!", invented for the Asterix comics by Goscinny and Uderzo. The spelling Toutatis, however, is authentic and attested by about ten ancient inscriptions.[3] Under the spelling Teutates, the god is also known from a passage in Lucan.
The name "Teutates" is derived from the stem teutā-, meaning "people" or "tribe", cognate with the Germanic *þeudō.[4]
Teutates was one of three Celtic gods mentioned by the Roman poet Lucan in the 1st century AD,[5] the other two being Esus ("lord") and Taranis ("thunderer"). According to later commentators, victims sacrificed to Teutates were killed by being plunged headfirst into a vat filled with an unspecified liquid. Present-day scholars frequently speak of "the toutates" as plural, referring respectively to the patrons of the several tribes.[1] Of two later commentators on Lucan's text, one identifies Teutates with Mercury, the other with Mars.

Teutates was worshipped especially in Gaul and in Roman Britain. Inscriptions to him have been recovered in the United Kingdom, for example that at Cumberland Quarries (RIB 1017), dedicated to Jupiter Optimus Maximus and Mars Toutatis.[6] Two dedications have also been found in Noricum and Rome.[3] Another inscription found in Galicia[7] probably also contains a dedication to Teutatis; place-names in Asturias and Leon have been associated with Teutates under the name of Teleno.

As noted above, among a pair of later reviewers on Lucan's work, one identifies Teutates with Mercury and Esus with Mars. At times the Gaulish “Mercury” may have the characteristic of a warrior, while the Gaulish “Mars” may act as a god of protection or healing.

Paul-Marie Duval argues that each tribe had its own toutatis; he further considers the Gaulish Mars the product of syncretism with the Celtic toutates, noting the great number of indigenous epithets under which Mars was worshipped.[1]
Toutatis ring from Eboracum now in the Yorkshire Museum
A large number of Romano-British finger rings inscribed with the name "TOT", thought to refer to Toutatis, have been found in eastern Britain, the vast majority in Lincolnshire, but some in Bedfordshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire. The distribution of these rings closely matches the territory of the Corieltauvi tribe.[8] In 2005 a silver ring inscribed DEO TOTA ("to the god Toutatis") and [VTERE] FELIX ([use this ring] happily") was discovered at Hockliffe, Bedfordshire. This inscription confirmed that the inscription TOT did indeed refer to the god Toutatis.[9]

In 2012 a silver ring inscribed "TOT" was found in the area where the Hallaton Treasure had been discovered twelve years earlier. Adam Daubney, an expert on this type of ring, suggests that Hallaton may have been a site of worship of the god Toutatis.

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 9:51 pm

The White Lady
whitelady.gif
whitelady.gif (25.13 KiB) Viewed 16788 times

Ladi Wen
A Cymric Folkloric Figure, also known as Iarlles Wen: The White Lady
Y LAdi Wen (Iarlles Wen) is a Cymric folkloric figure of a female bogeyman who repreents one of the evil spirits typically abroad at Halloween. Though typically portents of evil, the white ladies can also be protective spirits.
Synonyms: Iarlles Wen
Cym: The White Lady
The Ladi Wen is a Cymric bogeyman, and of relatively late date, certainly post-Tudour as attested by the mix of the native Cymric feminine form of white gwen and the Cymricized form of 'Lady' in Ladi though she fits in with the panoply of evil spirits abroad at Calan Gaeaf (All Hallows' Eve). She is normally represented as the spectral apparition of a woman (often headless) dressed in white. She was often used as a bogeywoman to frighten naughty children into obedience. The following poem used to be commonly recited at Calan Gaeaf and mentions the Ladi Wen:

Hwch Ddu Gwta a Ladi Wen heb dimm pen
Hwch Ddu Gwta a gipio'r ola
Hwch Ddu Gwta nos G'langaea
Lladron yn dwad tan weu sana

A tail-less Black Sow and a White Lady without a head
May the tail-less black sow snatch the hindmost.
A tail-less black sow on winter's eve,
Thieves coming along knitting stockings.
Though legends of the Ladi Wen occur in Cymric folklore across the length and breadth of the country there are more from the south than anywhere else. The follwing are some of the legends associated with the Ladi Wen:

Between Ewenny and Bridgend, Glamorgan, there are places named White Lady's Meadow and White Lady's Lane. In former times the white lady was said to appear, and point towards Ewenny. People said she knew where treasure was hidden, but could never go to find it. She was sometimes seen wringing her hands, as if in great trouble. A man once ventured to address her, and she seemed pleased. He asked what he could do to help her, and she answered that if he would hold her tightly by both hands until she told him to stop, her troubles would leave her. The man did as he was bidden, but the loud barking of a dog caused him to look round and release her hands. With a scream she cried, "I shall be bound for another seven years"" and vanished.

At Rhiwsaeson near Llantrisant, Glamorgan, a woman in white used occasionally to appear. A farm labourer returning home one evening met her. She approached him, saying: "Your wife has given birth to a babe. Go and bring the boy to me at once, that I may be saved." The man was surprised to find the event had come about. He feared to do this, and the parson advised him to have the infant christened before taking him out, fearing he might die before his return. When he, carrying the babe, reached the spot where the white woman waited his coming, he found her crying bitterly and wringing her hands, for one of the conditions of her soul's redemption was the kiss of a new-born and unbaptized child.

A shepherd, minding his master's sheep on the Llantrisant Mountain, sat to rest in a sheltered nook where a huge rock covered with heather shielded him from the fierce sunshine at noontide. He looked a few paces away, and saw a white robed girl scattering a few roses. The shepherd waited until she was gone out of sight, and then went from his nook to gather the flowers. He looked at them, and said: "Oh, what beautiful flowers!" He replaced them where they had been scattered. Suddenly the maiden reappeared, looked at him kindly, and smiled sadly, but never uttered a word. That night he took the flowers home, and placed them in water. In the morning he found three gold coins where the flowers had been.

A ploughman was busy ploughing a very large field near Caer Bannau, the site of a celebrated Roman station, about three miles away from Brecon. In the course of his work from day to day he noticed a maiden robed in white, smoothing her hair in the sunshine, and beckoning the man to her. At first he took no notice of her, but as she repeated the signal he mustered up courage to respond. The maiden told him she was a King's daughter who had sunk with a landslip into the ground. She could only be saved by a man who, without halting or looking round, would carry her to the nearest churchyard, and throw her down with all his might. The ploughman promptly picked her up, and ran with her to the nearest church. He was about to fling her off his shoulders when something tweaked his ears so violently that he looked round, and let his burden fall. The maiden flew into the air, lamenting that she must suffer more severely now, and wait another hundred years for a man with a more steady hand.

Ogmore Castle, near Bridgend, Glamorgan had a white lady who was supposed to guard treasure which was kept under the flooring of the tower. A man accosted her once, and she took him to the spot where she asked him to lift a large flooring-stone. This he did, and in a hole under the stone he found an old crock full of golden guineas. "Take one half," said the white lady, and leave the remainder for me." He did as he was bidden, and replaced the stone. One evening he thought he might as well have the other portion, and accordingly lifted the stone, and filled his pockets with the gold pieces. Just as he was leaving the castle the white lady appeared, and accused him of theft. He denied having taken the gold, but she made him take off his coat, and in doing so the money rattled out. The white lady then set upon him, and, to his dismay, he found she had claws instead of fingers, and with these she nearly tore him to pieces. He shouted, and tried in vain to get out of her grasp, but this he was not able to do until she had badly used him. He went home in a dilapidated condition, and was accused of having been mixed up in a drunken brawl which he stoutly denied. Soon afterwards he was taken ill, and gradually became worse. Nobody knew what his illness was, and in the course of time he wasted away. Before he died he confessed to his adventure, and people called his complaint "the white lady's revenge."

Tricia

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 11:56 pm

Great reading kilty lol
My ipad controls my spellings not me so apologies from it in advance :) lol

Fairlie

Global Moderator

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 11:25 am

The Celtic Kilted Bard !

Fairlie Gordon.jpg